The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just got one hell of a deal on a acrylic 55 gal tank with filter and some accessory for only 30$ anyways my main question i am having is lighting as i plan to use the 55gal as a plant farm...

well i will have 2x t5vho 39watts per bulb so 80watts total for a 55gal tank...

from substrate to light as the light will sit on the tank top open lid at about 17-18"... water will only be about 45-50gals of water when said and done....

do you think this is more then enough lighting or do you think i need more for a tank this size...?

plants will range from low to high lighting but over all i want to be able to grow anything

·
Registered
12 Posts
Totally depends on what kind of plants you will be farming but I think it is about half as much as you should have and I would probably do triple that.

Measure par to be sure though.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cause i have a 40b tank and i am running 2 of the same bulb at 28" from substrate to light and i am getting crazy GSA as is already... i'm just wondering if anyone has better knowledge about this then me...

p.s. i dont have a par can cant afford one lol xD lights substrate decor sand etc killed me in the funds already

planning on growing some dwarf baby tears some riccia some of everything? lol just a plant farm.... no heater just running co2...

p.s. would it be bad to run a light over this farm tank 24/7 with running co2 24/7 ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I too have a 55 gallon just getting started and new to fresh water plants I have Discus and Angels 6.7 PH 83 Degree water substate at the bottom just starting with plants soon CO2 i have a 4 bulb T5 54Watt light do i need 2-3 or all 4 bulbs lit for 11 hours a day also what about atinic bulbs?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you will not need 4 t5 54watt bulbs 2 should be enough... the more you go ... the more of a algae problem you will run into... trust me my 40gal has 2 40watts t5 bulb and i cant seems to get my algae under control

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.