The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Black diamond also at Northern Tool.
Most posts I've seen says they got the pfs @ leslie's. You might try searching/posting on a different subbforum if nobody here knows.

My concern is using light substrate.
My question is, what shrimps do not look good (color-wise) when using PFS.

I had my RCS on a (light) natural colored gravel, and when I switched to black sand they looked so much better.
What about shrimps with light&dark colors??

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes if black sand is always better for shrimp color popup. Not sure if Homedepot is carry any black diamond

·
Registered
233 Posts
I find it surprising, but they don't carry it here. One might be able to special order it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hi

I do want buy sand to use for Neo shrimp type. Is this correct?

http://m.acehardware.com//product/index.jsp?productId=11683357

Or Quikrete 50 lb. Pool Filter Sand. At homedepot. Which one is correct?
Either will work. The Ace PFS has reviews from people who specifically used it in their aquariums, so you won't have any problems with that. However, the Quikrete PFS will be fine as well. I don't have Quikrete PFS available at my HDs, so I'm going to be using Quikrete commercial grade medium sand for my tank. The product specifically mentions aquarium use, and it has been used by other aquarists in the past even though most now use PFS or BDBS.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is weird, in portland oregon none of store sell Black Diamond sand? Ummm make me feel sad :-( does homedepot carry correct pool filter sand? Because the one i seen online from their website, does feel like they have instore pick up

·
Registered
828 Posts
With hone depot pfs is seasonal. If you have a pool supply you can get it year round. Black blasting sand can be found at most tractor supply stores or you can possibly talk to a business that does sand blasting.

I'm lucky on that point as I live about 5 miles from where they manufacture it.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
the down side to all black sand is you see all the shrimp poo. i have taken to mixing black sand ("petco black aquarium sand" search amazon for it) and pool filter sand. little more black than pool filters. with the mix you dont notice poo as bad and its still dark enough to make the shrimp colors pop

·
Registered
233 Posts
the down side to all black sand is you see all the shrimp poo. i have taken to mixing black sand ("petco black aquarium sand" search amazon for it) and pool filter sand. little more black than pool filters. with the mix you dont notice poo as bad and its still dark enough to make the shrimp colors pop
Yeah, I agree about the poo. Plus other debris, such as coconut fibers.
I was wondering why you mixed. That is a great tip, I may try it.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
example of the mix. i started with just pool filter sand and put a thin layer of black on and let the shrimp mix it. if i started seeing to much white i would put a little bit more black and they would mix away as they picked at it

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts