The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been pulling out the reddest shrimp and putting them in a tank to themselves. So far, she is the strongest red I have. I have four females and one male in this tank. I was a little taken aback by her legs. They are almost a solid red.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should definitely try selective breeding. If you are interested, I got my original stock from epicfish and bigshrimpin. Both are great guys! Lobster, lol. Kinda does now that you mention it.

Here she is with the others. I put in some food to lure her out. She's on the far right. The two teenage girls are showing there saddles!

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That probably explains part of it, Laura. I changed there food recently to not feeding them beyond what algae I grew in the tank to feeding them almond leaves left in the sun and 1/2 pellet of algae with calcium every 3 days. Perhaps that is the explaination. I took a couple shots of the girl with flash on to show her in a different light:

Isn't she cute? :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
You should definitely try selective breeding. If you are interested, I got my original stock from epicfish and bigshrimpin. Both are great guys! Lobster, lol. Kinda does now that you mention it.
I need to get a hold of either one of the. Already tried Epic via e-mail, no response. Somehow I got a wild type Neo in my RCS tank a few months ago, stock is now mixed. Not that I'm mad or anything, but I want to get back into pure strain RCS. Those shrimp must have some good genes.

Great job on the breeding. Can't wait to see how the offspring look!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Do any of the females in your tank show that peach stripe down their backs, Kara?

I know there were a few threads about this a while back, but I never did read one where anyone came to any definite conclusions about it, and I've always been curious. That peach stripe on the females seems to come and go, IME... but I do think it's only on the darker females.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No stripes. Kara's has a stripe on hers, but mine are just red for now. I'll let you know if I see one. On a sad note, I found the male dead this afternoon. I must have overfed or something. He was really young, so I am sad. I am keeping a close eye on the other shrimp.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Nice looking shrimp there. I can see a stripe starting to show up. IMO, the strip comes with age. I'm working on selective breeding with some of my cherries in my mini m with the crs as well. Congrats on the babies!

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are right, there does appear to be a stripe. They really started breeding the last few days. Ever since I added some floaters, it seems the babies are always out and about, too. I'll have to keep and eye on her and see if it develops further.

How is your selective breeding going, CL? Is the one in the signature one of yours? If so, outstanding!

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
You are right, there does appear to be a stripe. They really started breeding the last few days. Ever since I added some floaters, it seems the babies are always out and about, too. I'll have to keep and eye on her and see if it develops further.

How is your selective breeding going, CL? Is the one in the signature one of yours? If so, outstanding!
I just started separating my colony about a couple of weeks ago, really. I got these shrimp in the summer of 2007, which I believe was when they were first starting to show up in the higher quality fish shops in the US. I started with 6 of their brightest ones, got the population to a couple of hundred, but then some got eaten, and I rescued the remaining shrimp from my 55 gallon tank about 5 months ago (I had about 7 left, all descendants from my original 6, I've never introduced new genes since I got them) and I'm just now starting to separate the darker ones from the less vibrant now that my population is up to about 35 again, so I have maybe 20 deep red cherries in my mini m with the CRS right now. I will just remove the less vibrant ones from here on out. Yes, the one in my sig is one of mine. I've got about 5 deep red females the same as the one in the picture that may be (I'm guessing) about 18-24 months old. They are the ones with stripes. They have had them for a while now, though.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I just started separating my colony about a couple of weeks ago, really. I got these shrimp in the summer of 2007, which I believe was when they were first starting to show up in the higher quality fish shops in the US. I started with 6 of their brightest ones, got the population to a couple of hundred, but then some got eaten, and I rescued the remaining shrimp from my 55 gallon tank about 5 months ago (I had about 7 left, all descendants from my original 6, I've never introduced new genes since I got them) and I'm just now starting to separate the darker ones from the less vibrant now that my population is up to about 35 again, so I have maybe 20 deep red cherries in my mini m with the CRS right now. I will just remove the less vibrant ones from here on out. Yes, the one in my sig is one of mine. I've got about 5 deep red females the same as the one in the picture that may be (I'm guessing) about 18-24 months old. They are the ones with stripes. They have had them for a while now, though.
If you ever get some good red RCS lmk I may be in the market in a couple of months. Help fund more GLA stuff for your tank! :eek:

O.k. highjack off.

Sewingalot those are beautifuly red! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.