The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some kind of algae was growing on the driftwood. I pinched it off about a month ago while it was relatively long, and this is how it grew back.

It's grown to approx 1/3" in height, seems to stop and then start spreading to the sides.

Now it has much more of a moss ball feel to it. It's growing fairly quickly, and the shrimp seem to love grazing on it, so I'm going to see where it ends up.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The strands don't branch, they're all straight as an arrow, and grow to maybe 1/2" tops then seem to stop. I'll try to get a better shot.

If someone had told me they'd taken a marimo ball, sliced it open and wrapped it around the branch, I'd have believed them.

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,344 Posts
No that is not clado. I have no idea what that is.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
almost looks like green black beard algae. could it be a moss of some sort?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I tore off a piece, and held it up close, as well as took some top down and additional side photos. Anyone have an idea? Open the images in a new tab for the full size.

Here you can see one of the Red Nose shrimp, munching away at whatever is getting caught in this plant/algae.

Better photo than the first one, moved the light out of the way.

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,344 Posts
I also think it looks a lot like 'green' bba. This was my first thought. The shape is just like BBA but the color throws me off so I would be that it's not BBA...

Hit it with some hydrogen peroxide and see what happens.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So weird, I have never seen an alagae like this. Could it be moss? do you have any mossed in the tank?
I have no moss other than java moss, which this clearly isn't. The java moss is growing similarly well on other branches of the wood though.

I did order some misc. plants from another user a few weeks back, and it's possible something else made the trip with the plants and has established itself since then.

This plant/algae didn't get large enough to be really visible until about two weeks after that plant order.

There were also a few cups of lake water initially added to the tank to seed things with micro fauna, but that was months ago now. Given how fast this plant/algae has grown, I think I would have noticed it sooner if it were around that long.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just found another clump in another tank. I think it's something from the roots of the pothos vine I put in the tanks. Both locations where it sprouted are directly in contact with the pothos plant roots.

That's also the only shared item between the two tanks, either equipment or livestock.

This stuff isn't at all slippery, it feels dry/rough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.