The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking bba but the pictures confuse me a little. I have three spots where this grow and the spots are increasing. Trying to figure out what type algae so I can get a hold of it. nothing I have in the tank will eat it I suppose.

·
Registered
881 Posts
To me that is bba. They grow almost like dwarf hairgrass and stargrass together formation. If you go to the source of why they are growing and remove the algae by hand. Your tank shall be good in no time. Do "not" turn to SAE, Hydrogen peroxide and flourish excel immediately. These are the last resort kind of things. BBA to me is one of the most easiest algae to remove and deal with as if you get your water chemistry right then they will most likely never come back.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is a high tech tank with injected co2 and EI dosing. I normally turn the co2 off at night and back on in the morning which leads to varying co2 levels because when I turn it back on in the mornings I can never get it back to the same bps rate?? should I just leave the co2 on and turn on air bubbler at night instead of turning off the co2??

·
Registered
879 Posts
Here's the thread for beating down this algae, note the disclaimers (i.e. warning labels) but like you're trying to do....starting fresh with a better grasp on root cause & mitigation...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203684

I found only older weaker dying leaves, sometimes, driftwood, and rocks getting BBA. The leaves are an easy fix...remove them. If they were old and stunted then that's typically why they were growing algae on them. Typically you will not see any form of algae on healthy faster growing leaves.

There are tons of threads on various forums dealing with BBA and the most common theme is CO2 issues but I've also seen some eluding to possible ammonia spikes, circulation issue areas (can sometimes be too much or too little), filtration issues, etc...

You said it yourself with the CO2 bps issue....seems like the smoking gun but who knows for sure. I try to focus on a specific pH that yields far more CO2 than the 15-30ppm for my set up and I've not seen any new BBA since. My baseline pH is 7.4-7.6 and I target my drop to 6.1-6.2 (6.5 would be about 30ppm for my set up). If my pH rises to 6.3 it very quickly feeds CO2 as fast as possible until my pH is back to 6.2 thus keeping it as consistent as possible. I love the piece of mind with my pH controller. That's just my preference and works great for me.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
does this device actually control your co2 regulator or simply tell you when you need to adjust it??

·
Registered
879 Posts
does this device actually control your co2 regulator or simply tell you when you need to adjust it??
Sorry I do not know how to respond to multiple quotes in the same post...to answer your question the pH controller actually plugs into your CO2 regulator solenoid and tells it to open or close based on the pH. Then your solenoid power plugs into the pH controller, which then plugs into a timer, which then you have set to turn off at the end of your photoperiod and back on 30min - 1 hr before your photoperiod in the morning.

By the way I forgot to mention yet another root cause for the BBA. This I know for a fact based on more than two separate & very specific occasions personally and many others as well. I can directly correlate BBA outbreaks with the uprooting of a lot of plants. I believe this goes back to the ammonia spike in isolated areas thing I was talking about before. A recent example was last week I uprooted a freak ton of Alternanthera Reineckii from a single section of my tank. I did this while trying to suck up as much of the cloud as I could during my water change but with this much disturbance it doesn't matter. This week all around that specific area on low lying leaves & rocks I have a lot of BBA that I did not have at all last week at all. This happen before as well thus a direct correlation in very specific areas in very specific instances.

So, simply do not get flustered anymore, I removed the small rocks (trash them or soak in H2O2 & scrub with dish pad), remove affected leaves and treat any areas like the large rocks with H2O2 and I will not have any more spread. As a precaution since I'll be traveling a lot in the next few weeks I dosed Excel & Algaefix after my 50-75% water change tonight. I used to do this weekly in the past for more reasons than I'll post tonight.

I hope you get your system under control soon as I know it can be a bummer. Keep in mind that me (and Tom Barr admittingly...he even showed us pics) will get a few small spots of BBA from time to time. His current big tank has some on the driftwood from a CO2 delivery issue but like me he doesn't worry with the tiny tufts of BBA that cannot be seen from 5-6ft away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts