The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
+1 to Staghorn but I have seen what I thought was staghorn and it erupted into BBA. Overall there are underlying system issues that are causing algae to grow. Sewing gives great words of wisdom because light(both intensity and duration) and C02 are usually the fix in an established tank. In a sparsely planted it tank it could simply be not having enough flow or plant biomass to absorb the nutrients in the water column before the algae can get to it.

lower dem dar lights and lets see what happens. You may also consider dosing H2O2 in lieu of excel (its a lot cheaper but produces the same result for different reasons) during your water change if the algae is just too unslightly for you to deal with.

Best of luck.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Not surprising as both BBA and staghorn are related actually, both of the Rhodophytes kingdom. There could be some BBA on that rock, actually. I was looking mainly at the leaves.

Typically, staghorn is found in more alkaline waters. 9/10 when you raise your co2, whether you use excel or other methods DIY, pressurized, it will go away. If not then. Lights lowered means less co2, so that can help as well. However, there is always a possibility your tank isn't cycled or going through a mini spike as it likes ammonia. Have you checked this recently?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.