The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Is this BBA on my Mini Christmas Moss? Please tell me it's just diatoms! But if it is BBA, is there a way to get rid of it without killing the moss? It's on the underside of a lot of the moss, so it'd be tricky if not impossible to cut it all out.

The tank is a 21 gallon and it's been up for a month. Ammonia=0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=20. I inject CO2, but I've had a hard time getting my bubble rate to stay constant and it dipped pretty low last week. The Twinstar EA Series light is on a dimmer for two 3 hour photo periods. I add Thrive twice/week. There are 5 Amano shrimp, 10 Harlequin Rasboras, and 1 Nerite. The dwarf hairgrass has had a lot of melt and a lot of new growth, but the shrimp have cleaned up most of the melt. The moss also has a lot of new growth, but I'm worried about the algae taking over.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks like rhizoids to me, it is just looking for a surface to attach to. Not entirely sure, but if it doesn't come off easily, it probably isn't algae.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It looks like bba to me. A very small amount of excel might work. Cut off what you can to stop it in its tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like rhizoids to me, it is just looking for a surface to attach to. Not entirely sure, but if it doesn't come off easily, it probably isn't algae.
That would be amazing if it were rhizoids! And it makes sense with it only being on the bottom. I'm kinda freaking out about BBA! Would BBA grow towards the light?

It looks like bba to me. A very small amount of excel might work. Cut off what you can to stop it in its tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I pulled out a bunch of it, but the more I pull, the more I find. I think I'd have to pull out all of it. I'll try excel. Will that kill the moss though?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My thought was rhizoids too, given the orientation and location...
Yesss! I hope so! Although I just pulled half of the moss out...but I put it in a jar in the dark to see if it the BBA dies, so I can hopefully put it back in the tank at some point. It's only on the moss, but all through the moss and has not spread to the driftwood or anywhere else in the tank. I would expect it to spread to other areas if it were BBA, but I don't really know.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Do all the mosses get those? I have weeping moss that has grown quite bit but I have not see that. Maybe I didn't look close enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts