The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just need help IDing these plants I got with this tank.
Its an epiphyte and I think it is an anubias just dont know what kind. Kind of looks like pinto but big. I've had some people tell me they think the outline is algae? but it doesnt look like algae too me and the fact that it is only the outline and veins that are dark green suggests otherwise as I would've thought algae would grown in the spaces between aswell? or am I wrong here

·
Registered
782 Posts
BBA likes plant edges.

That sort of yellowing with darker veins is usually indicative of nutrient deficiency, and I actually think that plant was growing in poor conditions as the dark bits look more like necrotic leaf tissue to me. I think that plant sat in a tank with no ferts for a long time. It probably could use some TLC to get it putting out healthy new growth, and then I'd trim off the old stuff.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Defintely Anubias. I would guess at A. barteri 'nana' (common, and the more likely variety) which is suffering from a nutrient deficiency (appears to have been for some time) and has a mix of green-spot algae and possible BBA. Best general advice, if you are a novice at plants, to get it back in shape would be to have something somewhat shading over it (some stem plants, for example) to keep the algae from growing on it, and dose some basic plant food. Put a couple root tabs under it where the roots can get fed well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts