The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
You'll need an extremely fine mesh filter cover along with a cover on that power head. I recommend buying some filter mesh on Amazon, especially the ones that are bags with drawstring. You can put those around the filter intake and the power head.

As stated, Amano shrimp need to have brackish / saltwater as babies and then transfer to freshwater when they grow up. This is a difficult task as it involves capturing the baby shrimp which are extremely difficult to see and then transferring them to another aquarium you have setup. The only good way to do this is by using a breeding net that is fine enough to hold the baby shrimp. You can then capture the baby amanos and transfer them to a new aquarium. However, you will need a new aquarium setup. I don't know the parameters off the top of my head.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
You'll need an extremely fine mesh filter cover along with a cover on that power head. I recommend buying some filter mesh on Amazon, especially the ones that are bags with drawstring. You can put those around the filter intake and the power head.
sponge filter with air hose should keep everybody safe.

Bump:
As stated, Amano shrimp need to have brackish / saltwater as babies and then transfer to freshwater when they grow up. This is a difficult task as it involves capturing the baby shrimp which are extremely difficult to see and then transferring them to another aquarium you have setup. The only good way to do this is by using a breeding net that is fine enough to hold the baby shrimp. You can then capture the baby amanos and transfer them to a new aquarium. However, you will need a new aquarium setup. I don't know the parameters off the top of my head.
You can separate the momma, wait will she release the babies, remove the momma and gradually increase the salinity.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's very interesting. If I had more time on my hands, I'd definitely give it a go. I've never had an excuse to fool around with salt water. Anyone interested in trading for the little fella?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great news everyone! Instead of getting started on a final project due in two weeks, I borrowed a friends Q tank and isoloated the pregnant shrimp! Huzzah! Screw school!

Anyway, my setup is very bare bones. No substrate yet or a light. I'll probably pick up some play sand and clamp light today. I know I have some spare CFLs somewhere.

I've read the fry need diatoms so I need to figure out how to get those growing.

Could anyone recommend some reading?

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Going to get some green water from a local reef store and get see if I can get it to stay alive in a gallon bowl.

Question about the light being on 24/7. I've read that before, this means to leave the lights on 24/7 after the fry hatch in the freshwater tank? The fry haven't actually hatched yet.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
yes, the 24/7 light is for the green water. This is how some people raise daphnia.
You might want to get a cheap TDS meter or a cheap hydrometer to keep track of how much sea salt to add. Reef keepers use a refactor to check salinity but they're expensive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, just to be clear, the fry in the freshwater don't need 24/7 light when they hatch but they must be moved to the salt water within a few days. Think I read in at most 8 days but I'll probably do 4. Once in the salt/green water, they'll need light 24/7. How long must the 24/7 light continue? And I'm assuming the light must be a high K bulb suitable for growing plants?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Any light bulb is fine. Regular spiral compact bulb should work too.
Why not just add salt to the tank? No need to catch and move the fry. Add the salt gradually over days.

You know you're successful when the larvae looks like mini shrimps. The larvae should look something like brine shrimp larvae.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
My initial idea was to hatch in the spare 10 gal then add salt directly but the more I read, the more it sounded like transferring after hatching to a breeder tank would be easier. Biggest problem I foresaw was what to do after they've become shrimp? My other fish would feast on them in the main tank. This approach also has the advantage of me setting up another tank after I promised myself not to do so.

For the shrimp tank itself, I'm thinking of going filter-less initially but am still worried about water flow. I have a spare elite mini and plan to stuff it full of a fine filter pad. Would this be sufficient to keep the fry out of the filter? Or is a sponge filter really the only way to go?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
My initial idea was to hatch in the spare 10 gal then add salt directly but the more I read, the more it sounded like transferring after hatching to a breeder tank would be easier. Biggest problem I foresaw was what to do after they've become shrimp? My other fish would feast on them in the main tank. This approach also has the advantage of me setting up another tank after I promised myself not to do so.

For the shrimp tank itself, I'm thinking of going filter-less initially but am still worried about water flow. I have a spare elite mini and plan to stuff it full of a fine filter pad. Would this be sufficient to keep the fry out of the filter? Or is a sponge filter really the only way to go?
Any shrimp larvae yet?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Easiest is to let the larvae hatch in fresh water but only fill the tank 1/2 way. Remove the mother and then add double strength saltwater. Problem is with feeding. I have tried 3 times and only had 2 shrimplets ever survive and morph into shrimp but they did not grow up and I never saw them again once I added them to a fresh water tank. Getting them used to fresh water has to be done very slowly over several days by removing a little bit of water and replacing it with fresh water. Very time consuming.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes actually! I saw the first fry on the night of June 28th. Left them in the freshwater tank till July 3rd so 5 days in freshwater.

The night of July 3rd I moved them to a saltwater and plankton bowl I set up. Salinity was around 33/34 ppm. The mix was double salinity salt water from a local reef store mixed in with green water from the same store.

I've had a light on the green water since but I believe the original plankton died. Instead of green water, there is just brown dust on the bottom of the bowl. Perhaps due to lack of water movement? I only had a weak airstone in the bowl and definitely forgot to stir the water around. I've never dealt with alive green water before. I've since supplemented the water with half cap-fulls of seachum phytoplankton.

I can't say that all the fry have survived in the bowl but a good number have so far. Plan is to wait for them to morph and slowly bring to freshwater. I've read about a system using mason jars and adding 50% more freshwater every day but I'm not set on a method yet.

Any suggestions going forward? Should I add another food source or clean out the brown dead plankton at the bottom? Should the light remain on 24/7?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.