The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, can someone tell me if this is algae and what kind?

Tank’s been set up for over a year. I’ve had my issues with diatoms and Cyanobacteria in the past all resolved. Parameters are always good. Ph is around 7.4. Nitrates under 20. Did a phosphate test, had none. Running co2 on my crypts, Java fern and windelov, Amazon sword and one anubia.
usually do a 50% water change monthly (I know it should be more often, it’s my new years resolution to do it more regularly).

It’s like a green/brown fuzz on the leaves. Doesn’t really resemble BBA imo.

Lights on from midday to 7pm. Co2 runs from 11am to 6pm. Under stocked at the moment.
Light Plant Leaf Water Branch

Plant Vegetation Terrestrial plant Grass Aquatic plant

·
Banned
85 Posts
Doesn't look like algae exactly, I agree. Could be the beginnings of some under a layer of debris? More I look the more I think it may be mulm and filamentous algae.

I bet this improves in short order if you change that schedule to 50% weekly and cut feedings back. There's no harm with most tank residents to fast a couple days between feedings. You could also remove some of the more affected portions to speed up recovery.

You should post your parameters and fert dosing for more insight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure what this is either, but I have this in my tank as well. I don't have CO2 however.. I recently lowered the temp in my tank from 78 to 74 and after doing so, that weird algae stopped multiplying. My rainbow shark has had a feast on whatever that is!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have it too. I thought it was from driftwood breaking down cause it does look like mulm that's settled but it doesn't come off easy. I have it on anubas that's on top of driftwood, but the anubias under the driftwood, hidden from light, don't have it, so leads me to believe it's a low light algae. I can't lower my temp or I'd try _endgiggles idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts