The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Does anyone know what these small upside-down triangular things growing on the end of the driftwood are? They appeared about six weeks ago.

The driftwood was new and came from the LFS, and has been in the tank for about five months.

The growths look pretty so I'll leave them for now, but if it's some sort of algae that will cause problems later on then I'll happily (try to) remove them.

Ledman

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm no expert, but yes, definitely algae. And with a very suitable common name: "green hair algae." Plenty of posts about this and other types...

Try lowering the amount of light your aquarium receives. A temporary solution is just rubbing it off, but it will come back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks collinm and dzega.

Well there's certainly plenty of threads on green hair algae! Less on cladophora, which it looks a lot like. Hard to know which way to go, but either way the actions from reading other threads seem to be:

- reduce lighting, although it's not that high. 2 x 20W T8 tubes for a 24 gal / 91 litre tank, on for 9 hours a day.
- increase ferts. I dose Seachem Flourish 2ml weekly. I'll go to twice weekly, although maybe I don't need to if I lower the lighting.
- manually remove the stuff by twirling it around a toothbrush.
- point my internal power filter away from the algae (the algae is growing right on the flow. I might also have some BBA on a leaf in the flow path).

No marimo balls. I've got crypts, anubias, java ferns, lilaeopsis, and two small balls of java moss (clogged up with brown crud that came off the driftwood when I put it in, and not growing at all).

Thanks guys
Leman

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all

I manually removed most of this algae from the driftwood with my fingers, but couldn't get it all as it tore easily and most of the roots are still attached to the wood. I'll try a toothbrush next time - hopefully that tears it off the wood.

I'm happy to do this every month or so, so fingers crossed that there's no outbreak.

Cheers,
Ledman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.