The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had this stuff growing from the wood in my tank and from dead/old areas of java fern and bolbitus. I am really curious what it is and more importantly.. how to get rid of it? Cutting of affected leaves does the trick but on the wood it keep coming back (as well as on other older leaves).. I've tried local Excel treatments.. just grows back.

It's brown in colour and grows in a tube type form, that branches out. It never gets terribly long, but will get bushier if left on it's own. Disregard the BBA in the photos.. I know what that is.. :hihi:

Photo One.. on the wood..

Photo Two.. on some java fern (in the middle of the leaf).

(it's out of focus, sorry).

Water parameters are all normal. CO2 is steady and everything in the tanks is doing great. Dosing via the EI method with KNO3, etc.. with Plantex. I add additional iron (small amount) once a week also.

Any light that can be shed it greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the exact same stuff in my tank, I'm very curious as to what it is also. Almost looks like little corals the way it branches. Mine will grow on the wood, leaves, and the substrate.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
None on my substrate.. yet.. hehe.

Yeah, looks really strange. Nothing like ANY photo of beard algae I've seen.. or any algae for that matter.

·
Registered
234 Posts
its not beard algae , beard algae look like a thick black grass mat. looks like you have a bristlenose javafern :)lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem. I just do a thorough trim every water change, and it seems to slow it down. I found the cause of mine was some direct sunlight that the tank was getting in the late afternoon from the holes in the blinds, where the string goes through. I had a strip of algae through the tank, kind of comical. Once I covered the crack, it seems to have stopped, though the last cutting was recently. This would lead me to believe that it would be an excess of lighting that would cause this problem. Oh yea, it was a Java Fern too.

·
Registered
319 Posts
That actually looks VERY much like a Freshwater Sponge! Don't kill it, its just filtering the water for you. Here is a way to tell if it is a Sponge though. Remove one from the water for a few minutes, and then plce it back into the tank. It should die if it is exposed to air.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts