The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to order a number of items and want to be sure I'm off to a good start.

Planning a 20G H moderate/heavily planted tank with a Coralife 24" Freshwater Aqualight (2x14w T5NO) fixture sitting just above a glass top. Substrate will be 100% Flourite Black gravel.

Will probably run DIY CO2.

What ferts do I need to dose? I have some dry N-P-K that I have left-over from my previous 10g tank that I ran in 2005-2006.

And I have left over Flourish Iron.

Was thinking:

Flourish Comp
Flourish Iron
Dry N-P-K
Flourish Excel

Do I need to dose all of this if I'm at moderate lighting levels?? I just don't want to buy what I don't need.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Pressurized CO2 will be a good investment - you can better control how much you're pumping into your tank, thus better control issues that may arise, particularly when it comes to too much CO2. But if you're running DIY Co2, you may not need to use Flourish Excel.

If you want to make it simpler, go with EI dosing: NPK & CSM+B (or some other form of trace elements, is Flourish Comp micro/trace?); you can also supplement Iron. This way, you can observe your plants and adjust your dosing accordingly.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
On that 16 inch high tank that light should give you about 30-40 micromols of PAR, low medium light. With even DIY CO2 the plants will grow fast enough that I think you will need to dose some fertilizers - if you had a nutrient filled substrate you wouldn't need to, but it would still be a good idea to. Maybe dosing once a week, using the dosage amounts called for in the sticky for 2-3X a week would work. I would do the big water changes too, just in case that is a higher than needed amount to dose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.