The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From searching around the web seeing pictures of these beautiful planted tanks I decided i wanted to take a chance at competing with you all. I would like to grow mosses and riccia mats, and even a moss wall once i get enough moss to grow. I currently purchased a few items including:20 gal. high, flourite substrate, laterite to mix in, 65 watt 6700k coralife fixture, readsea co2 system, eheim filter 2232, and some fertilizers. Now is this setup good to grow mosses and riccia meaning light wattage. What would be some other good plants to grow in here. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
658 Posts
If it were me I'd stay away from the "high" tanks because there's less width for scaping, plus it's harder to reach into a deeper tank. I don't think that you need laterite if you have fluorite substrate. I'm sure the Red Sea co2 set-up will be fine, and you can't go wrong with Eheim from what I hear. What kind of ferts did you get? My first plants were Sunset Hygro, anacahris, wisteria, and brown wendtii crypt... all easy plants. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you're just growing mosses and Riccia, you don't need any special substrate at all, since these are not "planted". Plain old inert sand/gravel will work fine, but you'll have to dose the water column.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Mixing moss and riccia can be messy if you don't keep up with it. Little pieces of riccia will mix in the moss and then you have riccia growing everywhere and vice versa. Just keep after the little wandering pieces.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
A 20 High is only 16.75" tall. That makes it much shorter than many other commonly used aquariums. It's not like it's 30-36" tall. And it's most common with the 20H as it's one of the few commercial aquariums that comes with a High tank. Nobody thinks a thing about a 55 which is 21" tall.

You will be fine with your setup.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I had a similar setup and could grow lots of different plants in it. Of course the lower light plants like anubias, java fern, moss, and crypts did great. I also grew HC, alternanthera reineckii, polygonum K, different rotalas, and a few different hygrophila species.

A 20 High is only 16.75" tall. That makes it much shorter than many other commonly used aquariums. It's not like it's 30-36" tall. And it's most common with the 20H as it's one of the few commercial aquariums that comes with a High tank. Nobody thinks a thing about a 55 which is 21" tall.

You will be fine with your setup.
Now where did you put that stick?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input folks. I see alot of people using the abbreviation "hc" what plant is this because it seems popular. overall do i have a good setup to grow riccia submerged and tied down.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
HC is Hemianthus callitrichoides

And your setup sounds great, except I would use straight Flourite without the additional laterite like Otter said. It might help growth in some minor way, but it is SO MESSY, and Flourite grows plants great without it. I wish my first planted tank had been such a nice setup!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.