The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
The price is ok, but certainly not that great. Have you purchased from aquaticstore before? For some reason, I'm a little leary of an operation that uses 8 different small template based websites for essentially 1 line of products.

Brewing Supply Stores tend to have better prices on a lot of CO2 equipment as they're much higher volume.

That being said, are you sure you want a new cylinder? Depending on where you live, it might be easier to put down a deposit and just swap pre-filled tanks at a local vendor. Personally, I like having my own shiny, clean cylinder and having it filled isn't an issue.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll do a little more research and saving money before I switch to pressurized. I was just wondering what a good price for one would be. Does anyone think that a 5lb canister on a 10g tank is too much? How long should it last?

·
Registered
941 Posts
this one on ebay is
$67 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-lb-Co2-Tank-K...0085886784QQcategoryZ1267QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

spend a few more bucks and you can get a 10 lb one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/10-lbs-co2-tank...095027035QQcategoryZ67141QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
this one goes for $86

i bought my 10lb cylinder from aquatic store on ebay.
shipped out pretty quick, i had no problems with them.

i couldn've saved money by swapping tanks out but i wanted a nice shinny aluminum one to call my own. to each their own.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
The only real difference will be how many trips you'll make to the refill/exchange station. It's also a slightly cheaper initial purchase, but I bet if you worked out the math, you'd spend a little more for 5 lb tank refills over the long run. My 10 lb tank lasted ~ 2 years between refills. This is with it running 10-12 hrs/day, on timer with lights. Refill on a 10 lb at the place I've been going to is about $30, but I know it can be had for cheaper. I'm going to go somewhere else next time. Point is, its only a few bucks more than the 5 lb ($16-$18), but you only do it half as often.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
just about any size is going to run you 70-120. if bought new. What you want to do first before you buy your nice expensive shiney new tank. Is survey your local CO2 suppliers. Make sure they fill on spot. Alot if not most would rather just tank swap with you. So if you're going to get into the swapping game Just get a used steel tank.
If you have a local fish club you are a member of toss it out there you're looking. I got a 5lb one locally from a club member for 25 bucks. And to swap at the local welding place was only 11.
you might also check craigslist and do a search on CO2. or Brewery/beer, See if someone is selling or parting out their stuff.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Also, keep in mind, a lot of refill places have a minimum CO2 purchase of 6lbs- So if you get a 5lb container-you still have to pay for the extra lb.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Beverage factory constantly sells their new co2 tanks on ebay cheaper than the sell on their website. Most of the time with fixed shipping. I got mine on there and have been happy ever since.

I have another tank that I do a "swap" with. Thats my paintball tank, so I really dont care about the looks on that one. It usually gets shot a few billion times too.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I think I should probably find a place that will refill them before I look into getting one. I'm out in the country in KY so finding a place might be a little difficult. Thanks again.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Even in the country in KY, you should be able to find either a beer and wine supply store or a welding supply place - well within an hour or so of you. Generally, more people in the country make beer and wine than in cities.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.