The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would this be a good deal? $200 OBO

It's an undrilled 40 gallon breeder tank, comes with the tank, stand, and a 36" 2x96w Custom Sea Life fixture. One 10000K bulb and one actinic bulb. I'll have to switch out the actinic bulb if I want to go with a FW tank.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hmm, I think it's about what you would expect to pay for something like that used. Looks to be in incredible condition though.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Offer them 150
I don't know what planet you guys are on but thats a hell of a deal.
40 tank with a nice wood stand like that in the condition it is! Not to mention the accessories you get with it like the light. Great Deal!

Look at your local pet store or online for the same type of thing, a 40gal tank, wood stand, then addon the price for one of those light fixtures. I guarantee that will make you happier about the deal.

Do the other acces.'s come with it? Like the heater and pump?

·
Registered
270 Posts
You have to take into consideration that this is used, the rules change. I've sold similar tanks of lesser and larger size for less than that. Those tanks came with $100 in fish too!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Explain how the rules change?
I understand its used but why sell something for ALOT cheaper when its used. It has to depend on how it was used and how "used" it looks. That thing appears to be in great condition. Obviously it was used by a fellow aquarist that at least had a fair to good knowledge of running a tank and for breeding. I know I try to take care of my equipment as much as possible.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I shouldn't need to explain. It's the same with everything. Go buy a brand new car with just a few test drive miles on it. We all know that as soon as that title goes into your name and you drive it off the lot you'll never be able to sell it for anything near what you paid for it.

Yeah it's a great deal, looks great, high quality stuff but, it's not balls out incredible. Almost everyday in the paper you can find 100+ gallon reef tanks from locals that have to sell for just a couple hundred because they're moving.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Offered $130 (haha, what was I thinking?), she countered with $175. I got it for $150. =)

Pretty happy today!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Hybrid is right. this isnt a OH GOD I HAVE TO HAVE THIS kind of a deal. Its a good price, but I have seen a lot more gallons for the money. It is STILL a good buy for the headaches that getting a new setup has.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I don't know what planet you guys are on but thats a hell of a deal.
40 tank with a nice wood stand like that in the condition it is! Not to mention the accessories you get with it like the light. Great Deal!

Look at your local pet store or online for the same type of thing, a 40gal tank, wood stand, then addon the price for one of those light fixtures. I guarantee that will make you happier about the deal.

Do the other acces.'s come with it? Like the heater and pump?
Negoatiation is the secret here.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I keep passing up 90+ gallon tanks on Craigslist. It was hard for me to find a decent sized tank that fits the space I have.

There was a 125 gallon tank + stand for free the other day. Real nice. Just no space.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Depends on location and the demographics of the market. Around these parts, used tanks go for less than half of what the original owner paid.

I quoted someone $500 for my tank and the deal still didn't go through. This is for a 90 gallon tank with oak canopy and stand, 4x39W T5HO an Eheim 2128 with inline reactor, and some other odds and ends. The original price of the setup was more than 3x the asking price.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I think it also depends on the size of tank. A 40 gallon probably has a wider range of potential buyers than a 90 due to sheer size.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I could have easily bought a 150g tank, complete with stand and everything for what I have in my 40g right now. About $150.

The reason I didn't buy it was: Not enough time to keep it healthy, no way to transport, and no room.

So I think $150 for this was a good deal. You have to look beyond the initial cost to see if it's worth it. 150g is going to be a whole heck of a lot more expensive to keep up than a 40g.

Good luck with the tank. Let us know how it goes. The 40g breeder is an excellent size for a planted tank, especially if you like shorter tanks like myself.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Excellent sized tank, great light (make sure to use CO2 with it - those are bright!) and very nice stand and setup. I'd say you got a good deal. I recently paid twice that much for a setup roughly the same size, but it was a bowfront with lots of accessories. I'm a sucker.

·
Banned
418 Posts
I could have easily bought a 150g tank, complete with stand and everything for what I have in my 40g right now. About $150.

The reason I didn't buy it was: Not enough time to keep it healthy, no way to transport, and no room.

So I think $150 for this was a good deal. You have to look beyond the initial cost to see if it's worth it. 150g is going to be a whole heck of a lot more expensive to keep up than a 40g.

Good luck with the tank. Let us know how it goes. The 40g breeder is an excellent size for a planted tank, especially if you like shorter tanks like myself.
I think it's an OK deal only because of it's condition. I found a 150 gallon for $200, but instead of the lights it had 2 filters, gravel, python and a ton of other goodies. The tank was dirty, the stand and hood needed a lot of work, but a few weekends sanding and refinishing made it look like new. I got a light for about $80 for the tank, and resold it on ebay for $450 because it now looked good as new. I often find good tanks and stands in bad shape on recycler and craigs list. If your willing to put in some TLC you can get that same tank for less than half price.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts