The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 15G full of Cherry shrimp and I've noticed that I have one with more color than the rest (I think there are a couple more actually). But this guy is a very deep red from mouth to fin. His legs, tail, and literally every inch of him that I've seen are the same bright red. All my other Cherry's are mostly transparent with red dashes and what not on them (like you see in the background) Do Cherry's occasionally get this red?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
The color will vary by lineage, age, diet, water conditions, etc... The darker red one may be what they call "sakura" which is just a fuller red bodied shrimp. with genes, features pop up here and there so one never knows :)

when i first started keeping shrimp, all of my cherries were a faint red, mainly somewhat clear with larger red dots on the body. With age, improved water conditions and better diet (after i learned more on how to keep shrimp), most of the shrimp turned a fuller red and have a shiner shell nowadays. I have lost about half of my original colony (10) but have added some here and as time progressed.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So would selective breeding with them result in anything you think? I have a small breeding net i could put him and other in. I think it'd be cool to try and get more this color.

·
Registered
951 Posts
This is exactly how selective breeding works. You isolate the ones that you want the future ones to look like.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Yep, +1 on Bandit1200...

For you to get that kind of coloring from your current stock may have you doing this for generations, with their kids making more love with their brothers and sisters and second cousins to get this kind of color.

You can attempt to breed in this manner however, due to the time and cost factor, it might be better to go to the store and buy a Painted Fire Red and breed from there since the lineage of that sheep is generations deep for the "color" trait and you'd be trumping months/years of breeding time... also not having to find something to do with the hundreds of undesirable shrimp in the process...

Know that the male's arent as colorful so you may want to select a male by other traits, like red legs, sexier antennae, etc...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point, I have forgotten how to tell the difference of a male & female cuz I haven't done it for so long.
I'm pretty sure I also have a male that looks real similar to this one (deep red) but it has that creamish stripe done it's back (that would be a male right?). None of my LFS have fire reds that I have every seen unfortunately or I wouldn't mind doing that.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
No racing stripe = female as well. If you really want some fire reds you could order some on here?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No racing stripe = female as well. If you really want some fire reds you could order some on here?
Very good point
So if they have a racing stripe it's a MALE.
No racing strip is a FEMALE?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i wouldnt go by the stripe.

the female will have a more "u" curved body. while the male would have the opposite upside down U, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Very good point
So if they have a racing stripe it's a MALE.
No racing strip is a FEMALE?
I messed up. There was supposed to be a comma there.

No, Racing strip means it is female ._. Not all females have racing stripes, but if it has a racing strip it is female.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yea it's def a RCS..............
While we're on the subject I got a supposed RCS but idk it mostly clear with small red spots and a large orange shrimp down its back..is it an RCS ?

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
While we're on the subject I got a supposed RCS but idk it mostly clear with small red spots and a large orange shrimp down its back..is it an RCS ?
Picture would help us, help you :)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It certainly could be. Poorly colored RCS are often barely red at all, and various stripes and spots occur. It also could be an orange sunkist shrimp, or something else entirely. +1 to diwu13, without a picture it's hard to tell.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'll try to get a pic ASAP but my camera doesn't have the best resolution .....

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Picture, picture, ha.
Thanks for the clarification guys. I'm excited to do some selected breeding here. Nothing like trying something new

1 - 16 of 16 Posts