The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is same size of adult female cherry shrimp and it is already saddle.

The reason I am asking is that it is currently in my cherry shrimp tank and I don't want it to interbreed with my cherry.

I had amano shrimp before and they were 2x or 3x bigger than adult cherry, and I am not sure what kind of shrimp is it. it does look like a wile shrimp ???

Plant Botany Textile Terrestrial plant Vegetation
Insect Terrestrial plant Grass Mesh Net
Mesh Table Grass Net Rectangle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a cherry shrimp

Amanos can't breed with cherry shrimp
Sorry, are you 100% positive?

because I do have total of "so called" 6 amano in my cherry shrimp tank, 4 of them are already at least 1.5x larger than the adult female cherry, but there are still two remained small as the same size when I get them about 2 months ago (one already shows in the pics)

And even the bigger 4 amano still looks a bit different than the amano I used to have....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Looks like a cherry shrimp it's just not red. Cherry won't interbreed with Amano, besides that Amanos need brakish water to breed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yea it also looks like a low grade or wild type cherry (neo) shrimp. The pattern looks different from an amano and iirc when amanos are berried their eggs look smaller than what is in the picture.

·
Super Moderator
15,767 Posts
Note that Amanos don't need brackish water to breed - merely for offspring to survive. And the salinity really kind of varies.

But it's a Neocaridina shrimp. Clear ones/wild-types like that can be really cool and I hope you consider isolating it in a different tank so you can keep that strain. They'll throw some really interesting colors and patterns over time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts