The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I test the pH of one of my tanks the test immediately turns a distinct, strong color that is perfectly inline with the colors on the chart, but when I let the water sit in the tube, it's color rapidly decays down the chart going from a stronger color (e.g. the dark blue of 7.6) to an almost clear greenish of 6.4-6. I am assuming I should trust the first color since the instructions say nothing about waiting a certain amount of time like ammonia or nitrite for the color to develop?

Any experiences, advice or tips are welcome :grin2:!

·
Registered
502 Posts
You should take the initial reading. I am guessing that the color continues to change due to chemical reactions/breakdown and/or gassing off or gas buildup inside the test tube.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Ditto: Follow the directions about how long to wait. With the pH test there is no waiting. Read it right away. With some of the others the wait time might be 3 minutes... or 5 minutes... do what it says, the reactions is at the right point at that moment in time. Same comment if you use the strips- read each tab at the correct interval of time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.