The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! So i have about 15ish dreamy blue shrimp and 3 green babs in a 10 gallon tank.

Ph is 7.5 to 8
Ammonia is 0
Nitrate is 0
Nitrite is 0

There are around 2 or 3 berried shrimp and they have given birth and grown up healthy. But during the last month or so, i havnt seen and baby shrimp and all the blues are just siting there motion less. I just did a 30% water change and it still has done nothing.

(I have red cherrys in a different tank and they are breeding like rabbits, they live in the same water as the blues)

Any advice would be helpful

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Give it time

Given guesstimate of about 2 months before you see juvies forming up from the baby stage. You got a picture of your tank? and picture of your stock, pretty sure everything is fine.

Your full description sounds like your sound on shrimp especially neos. Yes some neos are slowly than others but eventually take off(really?)?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Everything looks good to me.

According to @shrimpusa (banned)
blue dreams require more pristine of water quality.

All i can think of
What filter are you using?

So your saying they're acting more sluggish?
Ease back on feedings? how often

If your not seeing molts, they are most likely dying off, which could set a chain reaction
STABILITY is key to any shrimp tank, constants-tds, water quality, o2

Maybe someone such as
@speedie408

can chime in on water changes with shrimps

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im using an aquaclear 20 with a prefilter on it. I usually run it slowly so the current does not disturb the shrimp. Usually my water is fairly stable but i have been kinda lazy with the water changes lately. So basically i should have the filter running stronger and i should clean the tank more often then?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im running an air stone 24/7, so aeration should not be a problem. Would it be over kill to do another 30% water change a day later? I just wanna get this tank stable as soon as possible.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I'd just start doing a scheduled weekly water change of like 10%-20%. Just get back on a schedule. Your KH is a little on the high side but I wouldn't think it's so high as to cause problems. Especially if your other neos are doing well. Guess it's something to consider at least. I know when I had my Blue Diamonds...even though they were neos...they were a bit more sensitive. I did have stock from the first imports though so they might not have been as stable and hardy. Not sure what the status is now.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Water changes aren't always necessary as long as the water is clean and there are enough minerals.

Can you double check the GH and KH values? As well as the TDS?

I have a 20 gallon that I put around 36 adult shrimp in, mostly females. In the beginning, they bred like crazy, and I ended up with a lot of babies. However, I started to slowly lose the adults (and probably some of the young ones, too). I think my issue was a lack of GH and TDS. I feel as if I have lost around half of the adults, at least, but I have since corrected the GH/TDS issue and still have lots of babies! For a bit, I didn't have *any* berried shrimp, but I now have at least 4 or 5?

In a 30 gallon, which is a temp tank, I dumped in some more shrimp (well, I stole the majority of the shrimp from the main tank and put them into the 20... wasn't getting any surviving babies in the main tank, adults slowly dying off...), and for a couple of weeks there were *tons* of shrimp molts, but no berried shrimp! Now there are at least 6 berried females, maybe 7? And with any luck, we'll get offspring! The water parameters aren't the same, although that was unintentional. Need to double check, but I know the TDS in the 30 gallon is higher, so it probably has higher GH, too. (am using fertilizers)

In your case, your parameters might be too high (rather than too low, in my case)... so that may be something to look into.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts