The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a special type of light to show of Killifish colors?

I have a Golden Wonder KiliFish and it its of strange. Sometimes you look at it and it just looks like a normal guppy-like fish when its on top but other times when it swims to the middle of the tank, the light hits it at the right angel or something and you can see the most beautiful sparkling colors on the fish.

I was wondering if you had a particular color led lights to bring out these colors all the time?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
With fish like golden wonder killifish the angle of the light is more important than the spectrum. Also you have a fish that usually swims near the surface.

Consider most lighting that we use on planted tanks. It tends to be strip lighting, so at the water surface maybe only 1/3 the surface gets much light.

A couple of things you can try. Raise the light about 8 inches or more above the tank, enough so the entire surface gets light. You could also try adding a 2nd light fixture, but that can get expensive and might be too much light. Of course you can do both.

Another alternative is to get pendant lights like Kessil, amd mount them high, but that's sure a super expensive solution.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
On my one tank, I have a too long tube, so I fitted it diagonally from the front corner on one side to the rear on the other...
Gives really interesting colour transitions as the fish pass in front of and behind the light source.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.