The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...bamboo shrimp? African dwarf froggies?

I have a small tank with random critters the kids have selected--fancy guppies, ADFs, bamboo shrimp, and P. bridgesii apple/mystery/whatever they're calling them these days snails. And a bunch of pond snails. Gobs of them.

I can move the pet snails to a different tank but not the shrimp or frogs.

Are there any small loaches that won't pick on shrimp? Or any reliable egg predators available?

The tank is a 29 gallon cube, heavily planted, heavily filtered, and lightly stocked IF you remove the excessive snail biomass. Very low tech.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,311 Posts
Anything that eats snails will eat shrimp.

Assassin Snails can take care of your Pond Snails but they've also been known to take down Apple Snails and can even harm shrimp (though that's more rare).

Pond Snails and Bladder Snails explode in population when you're overfeeding. Do you have that in check?

If you want to manually remove them, place some sort of food - zucchini, spinach, etc - in the front of the tank and wait 20-30 minutes. Then remove all the snails that you see by removing the piece of food. Doing that a few times can really make an impact.

Though, also keep in mind that snails are beneficial for your tank. They're a sign that things are healthy and they serve to eat uneaten food and algae.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would go with Assassin snails. They are fun to watch, I have them with Ghost Shrimp in a planted tank and everyone gets along fine.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'll research the assassin snails (are they fairly new to the hobby? I swear I used to know more...).

First I guess I'll try bait'n'grab since it's the safest. And I don't need complete elimination. I've been netting them and feeding them to my big fish (but that might be too much roughage).

And I am definitely overfeeding. The frogs are terrible at beating the guppies to food. But I guess they will just have to toughen up and learn to compete.

I really don't mind a few snails. But these guys have just gone too far. They ride around on the apple snails. They walk on the shrimps' little filter feeties. I can't allow that!

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I have to admit that I have never tried anything but manual removal but it works. I do what somewhatshocked said. Put some zucchini in the tank. I use zucchini because you can take it out easily with a BBQ skewer and any shrimp will jump off, snails will stay. Pick off any snails you want to keep.

After doing this a few times, you get rid of most snails. If you don't have much algae, they won't rapidly reproduce back to the same size. Then start removing them when you see them. If you do have algae, it can be much harder as they reproduce quickly when they have a food source readily available to them.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. These guys are ramshorns and like to drop when they sense a disturbance so I'll probably need to put it in a container but it does seem like a good use for zucchini. :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Assassins are slowly helping me win the battle against MTS in all my tanks. I haven't put them with shrimp yet though.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I like using slices of orange as bait. The fish will eat the same part we like and pond snails eat the rind. I do not know about Ramshorns.

You might try Kuhlie Loaches or Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki as snail predators, but they are not very good. They have such small mouths they can pretty much just eat snail eggs and newly hatched snails.
And baby shrimp. :-(
Very interesting fish, though.

I agree with the posts above: Anything that is capable of doing a good job getting rid of snails will be even better at getting rid of shrimp. About the only way to make this work is to keep 2 tanks, and keep switching the livestock back and forth. Maybe once a month? Maybe less often. But whenever the snails get out of hand.

Another way to deal with this:
Put the frogs in a separate tank so you can feed them and let them eat as slowly as they want, but you do not have to overfeed. You could add the slowest feeding fish, probably. Leave the food in there only as long as the frogs need, then remove it. Figure out how much they really need and only add that much.
Keep the more greedy or aggressive feeding fish in the other tank, and cut WAY back on their food. Give them only a few seconds to eat.
Feed any of these with foods that will also act as snail bait about once a week. Try all the fruits and vegetables. You want something that will stay intact in the tank, so do not cook the softer vegetables or fruits. Blanch the harder vegetables, but they should still be pretty firm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts