The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up a 29 gal and ordered a plant package. I got some bunches of stem plants. I am having a problem getting them to stay in the gravel. I stick one in and two more float up. I get them all in and some are floating the next morning. How can I get them to stay in long enough to grow roots?

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
408 Posts
Do you have biomedia rings? I have seen people just lace the bottoms in there with a couple leaves out the end so it doesn't slip out, or some of those bendable lead bands for weighing down plants, let the stem plant begin to root and then plant it once it's got a good root structure going. I have also just let some stem plant portions float. They get great light and then once there are roots plant them. Though this is not something I would recommend. Seems like too much shock or something, the changes in light and directions or something.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have biomedia rings? I have seen people just lace the bottoms in there with a couple leaves out the end so it doesn't slip out, or some of those bendable lead bands for weighing down plants, let the stem plant begin to root and then plant it once it's got a good root structure going. I have also just let some stem plant portions float. They get great light and then once there are roots plant them. Though this is not something I would recommend. Seems like too much shock or something, the changes in light and directions or something.
i don't know what biomedia rings are. I could cut the stems to some leaves and stick them in the gravel that way. Thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I cut my plant weights into tiny strips and use them to weigh my stems down until they root. They've been holding up to my rambunctious dojo loach just fine lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
What are you using to stick the stems in the substrate?

I recently re-planted my office aquarium with some new stems. I have two aquascaping tweezers, so I used one to dig the stem into the substrate, then held the stem in place with the other while I pulled the first tweezers out. Then I used the first tweezers to push substrate over the planted stem before lifting the second tweezers out. Hard to explain, but easy to understand once you see it. You can do the same thing with your fingers if you don't mind getting your arms wet.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are you using to stick the stems in the substrate?

I recently re-planted my office aquarium with some new stems. I have two aquascaping tweezers, so I used one to dig the stem into the substrate, then held the stem in place with the other while I pulled the first tweezers out. Then I used the first tweezers to push substrate over the planted stem before lifting the second tweezers out. Hard to explain, but easy to understand once you see it. You can do the same thing with your fingers if you don't mind getting your arms wet.
Thanks, but I've tried something similar with no luck

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Ditto the bio-ring idea. I've also used just a rock to hold the end of a stem down. Or cut narrow strips of plastic (from a cleaned milk jug, food packaging lid, etc), pinch in half to make a tweezer shape, and cut the ends to make them kinda pointy. Wedge down into substrate over the plant stem base it can hold it down like a clip. Later you can just pull off the plastic peg.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Stem plant generally don’t do great in gravel they need some sort of aqua soil

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ditto the bio-ring idea. I've also used just a rock to hold the end of a stem down. Or cut narrow strips of plastic (from a cleaned milk jug, food packaging lid, etc), pinch in half to make a tweezer shape, and cut the ends to make them kinda pointy. Wedge down into substrate over the plant stem base it can hold it down like a clip. Later you can just pull off the plastic peg.
Thank you. If I keep having a problem, I will try that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts