The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I use this fertilizer for green plants which works very well however I don't know if it is dangerous for fish and shrimps? thx

Data on the label :

NPK: 7.5.6

* 7% Nitrogen( of which total 2.8% Ammonical Nitrogen, 2.9% Urea Nitrogen and 1.3% Nitric Nitrogen)

* 5% Phospheric Anhydride (P2Os) soluble in water

* 6% Potassium Oxide (K2O) soluble in water

Mixture of water-soluble trace elements: 0.002% Copper(Cu); 0.025% Iron(Fe); 0.014% Manganese(MN); 0.001% Molybdenum(Ma); 0.004% Zinc(Zn) (EDTA Chelated)

I've been using it for a week now, 2ml every day, the fish and shrimp look very healthy.

·
Registered
575 Posts
What is your tank volume? Two ml/day in a 300 gallon tank is a lot different than in a 10 gallon. How much water do you change?

My feeling is that these fertilizer levels are going to be *way* too high, but we don't have enough information to do the math. Knowing you have shrimp, I'd be deeply worried about the accumulation of copper.

Edit: I should be clear that I'm looking at this from the perspective of "will this harm the stuff in my tank" not "is this an optimal fertilizer regime", but I will point out that at minimum the macronutrient ratios are way different than, say, the bottle of Thrive I have in front of me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is your tank volume? Two ml/day in a 300 gallon tank is a lot different than in a 10 gallon. How much water do you change?

My feeling is that these fertilizer levels are going to be *way* too high, but we don't have enough information to do the math. Knowing you have shrimp, I'd be deeply worried about the accumulation of copper.
15 gallons tank, I change 3 gallons every two weeks

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Hello, I use this fertilizer for green plants which works very well however I don't know if it is dangerous for fish and shrimps? thx

Data on the label :

NPK: 7.5.6

* 7% Nitrogen( of which total 2.8% Ammonical Nitrogen, 2.9% Urea Nitrogen and 1.3% Nitric Nitrogen)

* 5% Phospheric Anhydride (P2Os) soluble in water

* 6% Potassium Oxide (K2O) soluble in water

Mixture of water-soluble trace elements: 0.002% Copper(Cu); 0.025% Iron(Fe); 0.014% Manganese(MN); 0.001% Molybdenum(Ma); 0.004% Zinc(Zn) (EDTA Chelated)
Hi
If your data is correct, then for every NO3 equivalent of 1 ppm, we have 0.22 ppm PO4, 0.16 ppm K, 0.0008 ppm Fe, 0.0005 ppm Mn, 0 ppm B, 0.0001 ppm Zn, 0.00003 ppm Mo, 0.00006 ppm Cu.

Planted aquarium usual daily dose is 1 ppm of NO3, 0.1 – 0.2 ppm PO4, 1.33 ppm K, 0.0500 ppm Fe, 0.0286 ppm Mn, 0.0186 ppm B, 0.0200 ppm Zn, 0.00086 ppm Mo, 0.00142 ppm Cu.

So, if we were to dose to the needed 1 ppm of NO3 a day, we would have deficiencies in K and all of the trace elements. The trace element ratios are not bad, except missing B, but it has only 1/60 of the needed concentrations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.