The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in southern California and the tap tends to be hard. I'm about to set up a high tech tank and am wondering if an "auto water change" that pours tap directly into the tank is safe for any fish. I want to at least attempt rams this time but will need regular large water changes and don't want to strain myself doing it. My LFS has beautiful rams which are healthy and they have relatively hard water too. So would adding tap directly to the tank kill rams? I don't think I need RO since my LFS is able to keep them with our tap, but is the entire concept of adding tap to your tank bad enough to kill rams? Or is there another easy water change system that would work other than the bucket system?

Michael

·
Registered
65 Posts
Add the appropriate amount of dechlorinator into the tank at the time you begin refilling the tank and let 'er rip. I have done this for many moons and have yet to have a casuality. Don't sweat it. Regular water changes are far more beneficial than not, and the Python system makes this easier to accomplish.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even with rams? I worry about their health since they are finicky fish. Do you put the dechlorinator IN the tank or do you add while pumping water in?

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I use the aqueon version with my Rams, and they do just fine. Occasionally my male tries to swim up into the hose end lol. Just make sure you do not forget the dechlor. I usually add it right in front of the water coming into the tank just to make sure its mixed in well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's great news for me, thanks a lot guys I'll definitely make a system like the Python for myself. Nice to know it's safe :)

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
If your tap water is chlorinated remember to turn off your filters, drain tank/vacuum, add dechlorinator, refill, wait 10 minutes, restart filters, watch fish swim in the pretty bubbles.

Your tap is fine but you can add peat to your filter media, leaves in the water, etc. if you want softer water.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Add the appropriate amount of dechlorinator into the tank at the time you begin refilling the tank and let 'er rip. I have done this for many moons and have yet to have a casuality. Don't sweat it. Regular water changes are far more beneficial than not, and the Python system makes this easier to accomplish.

I have no problems...doing this.

HOWEVER if you have small CURIOUS fish rubberband some panty hose on the end. I have sucked up 1 fish before.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I got one for $20 used and I love it. It saves me about an hour every week. I only use it in my oscar's tank, so I don't have to worry about sucking her up. Put simply, it saves me from moving about 6 buckets of water around every week, and it could do the same for you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have used a python for years with my 55 gallon, housing rams and many other fish. If you add the dechlor right before you start the tap, you shouldn't have any problems. My rams spawned frequently, but my hard water prevented them from successfully hatching. The water from the python was not a factor.
Julia

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I have heard of people with altums using Python like setups. So, yeah, you are fine! It won't heart the fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts