The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a small 2.5 gal tank to seperate my cherries from my other tanks (fiancee pitched a fit about another tank :proud:)

But I didnt want to get the colorful topfin stuff, or spend a lot on the other 15+ lbs bags
But I saw National Geographic gravel in the nice black and in only a 5 lb bag. so I figured I would pick it up without any research.

As far as i can tell, its just small sized black gravel. Unsure if its natural or colored.
But reguardless, would it be fine for a cherry shrimp tank?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
It should be fine. At least it's not the ground glass like type like the super naturals is.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Be careful though it sais it may alter ph. Which is never good. I would t add anything to the tank for two months before I knew what was going on with the ph. And trying to contact not geo is impossible I contacted them about there bio media because I wanted to know what was used to make it or if they went through an outside manufacturer that was the same as eheim because it is the exact same thing,

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I've used it in a tank where I had cories and loaches. It ground the barbela down. Not sure how it is for shrimp

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
It's not petsmart brand. It's nat geo themselves. There trying to dip there hands into new territory. Petsmart brand is all living things topfin and great choice.

You can tell quality difference between those three brands and national geo.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I wouldn't say it's nat geo dipping their hands in to new territory as much as it is nat geo selling their brand recognition.

Very much like I never would have considered Miley cirus making a real jump into the hair product market when I saw hairspray with her face on it.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
That's true olive. Never thought of it that way. It seems as though all companys and etc like to fip there hands outside there niche to see what happens. Since they do have a good history.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Be careful though it sais it may alter ph. Which is never good.
I am going to start monitoring the Ph

I can understand them adding that as a precaution, but doesnt seem like anything other than crushed black gravel

So far all 3 shrimp are still alive, although hiding mostly (maybe still getting used to new tank?)

Ive included some unglazed pots and all my loose java moss, but they are hiding near/under the sponge filter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts