The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought 3 corys and they are in a QT now. Even when a food is very close to them, they don't seem to see it. I know they smell it because when I drop a food, they behave more enthusiastically (e.g., more digging). They'll eventually find it using the barbels, though.

I wonder if something wrong with my corys or if it's normal for them to find foods using non-visual senses.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I think that's normal. Corys like to have sand to sift through, so I'm guessing that barbels are the main way to find food.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Most catfish actually have decent vision, nothing compared to our eyes, but they can see enough. They rely much more on smell and their lateral line to find food and other fish

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Cories very much so rely on their sense of smell and taste to locate food. It is absolutely normal for them not to see food thats right in front of their eyes until they find it with their barbels. No worries. Out of curiosity, what kind of cories did you buy?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.