The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have recently set up an 8 gallon tank and am planning to have it planted pretty densely with maybe a few shrimp. I am still gathering all my equipment and am caught up on what to do with the filtration.

I have this extra filter laying around which is meant for tanks 2 gallons or smaller at 15 GPH. If I stuff it full of media, will that be enough for the tank, or am I going to have to shell out the extra cash and get a bigger filter?

·
Registered
94 Posts
15 gph is not nearly enough. I have a 15 gallon filter on a 5 gallon, and it is not enough flow. so long as you get good circulation you will be alright. I'd shoot for at least 60 gph depending on what fish and plants you plan on having

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just out of interest and sorry to thread crash but what is the flow requirment for a nano planted tank? Is there a reccomended gph rule?
I don't think there is an established rule. Its just more getting circulation of water to all the plants in there, and making sure there is enough water movement to keep a surface film from forming. It is really all dependent on the system you are running, for example shape of the tank, hardscape, amount of plants, and everything else that can obstruct flow. Nanos are like bigger tanks in the fact that over-filtering is a good thing, but not so much flow that its pushing your substrate around or your fish have a hard time swimming straight haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.