The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start getting into live plants with my aquarium. I have a 10 gallon aquarium and right now it has just some gravel. I dont have any fish currently. I was wondering how necessary a special substrate is for plants growth. I have read alot about flourite and eco-complete here as well as ADA aquasoil. I want to have my plants succeed but do not want to have to buy special substrate if it isnt that big of a deal.

I hope I made sense.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
Gravel works too... the "special substrates" work better because they can bind nutrients and keep them available for plants. But if the gravel is not too coarse it will work well with most plants, considering that many of us do mainly water column fertilization, and considering that many (stem)plants use the substrate mostly as anchor.

On the other hand, $20 for a bag of substrate isn't much in the overall scheme of things. :smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, I guess I will be getting one of them, now the decision is which one haha. I guess its better to start things out with good substrate rather than trying to switch when the tank is already filled with fish and plants

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.