The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, my problems started when i recently installed my bubble counter to keep the yeast muck that kept on getting into the tank. When I installed it i got large bubbles, and the rate at which they were produced decreased. I'm not really sure why its not doing well. Maybe I have to much tubing, or the bubble counter is too large. I am currently getting only 1 bubble every 35 seconds, and this is a new batch ( it gets even worse as time goes on). Also, my batch only seems to last a week or less.
It consists of sugar up to the first line, 1/2 tsp of yeast, 1 tsp baking soda, water up to the second line.

HELP!!!! :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
974 Posts
There must be a gas leak in your bubble counter. Try removing the counter and connecting the tubes and see if it improves. Is your ladder not a decent enough bubble counter?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Are you using tap water and if so, is the chlorine noticable,i.e can you smell it? Try using drinking water (e.g., the 25 cent/gallon Glacier dispenser works great). The chlorinated water may affect the yeast. I also warm the water up a bit to luke-warm to help activate the yeast.

What's the baking soda for? Stabilization? I don't even bother. May want to back off the 1/2tsp to a bit less.

Also, is your cylindar hanging via the clip or do you have it sitting below the water line? The bottle should be level or higher than the tank.

It works great on my 15 gal and the plants are thriving. Wouldn't want to use it for more than 20 gal but that depends on how heavily planted you tank is.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Is your ladder not a decent enough bubble counter?
That's what I advised yesterday. :rolleyes:

If you insist a separate bubble counter is necessary, try using a little teflon tape around the cap (I assume it's a two-piece). You can find the stuff in the plumbing section of the local Home Despo or Lowes.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got rid of the bubble counter and cut the tubing signifiganlty. There is a mojor improvement as I am now getting 1 bubble every 2 or 3 seconds! I just hope that the yeast muck doesn't build up. I also hope that this lasts for at least 2 weeks. Should I use a different solution?? (ex. cut down baking soda and yeast)????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.