The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is she saddled? This is the female that had babies already...she did not have this white when she was carrying eggs.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I agree with Tom, they're very common in ghosties, unfortunately. I've know many people who keep them that have waited it out. The worm will make its way out of the shrimp and float around the tank, and then you can remove just the worm, but if it were my tank, I'd dispose of the shrimp now.

·
Registered
889 Posts
newbie question..
What is saddled?

It's probably a nemetode worm, not tapeworm.
The term "saddled" refers to the ovaries that are developing eggs on shrimp. The saddle looks like a yellowish mark right behind a shrimp's head. If the eggs are fertilized they will drop to the swimmeretts of the shrimp until they hatch, when they are there it is called "berried".
Here is a picture of one of my saddled RCS:
It is kind of blurry but you can clearly see the saddle on the shrimp.

In this picture you can compare the saddled RC to the RCS with no saddle.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Good explaination RESGuy.

I agree with Tom, they're very common in ghosties, unfortunately. I've know many people who keep them that have waited it out. The worm will make its way out of the shrimp and float around the tank, and then you can remove just the worm, but if it were my tank, I'd dispose of the shrimp now.
Boz, this is true. You can also isolate the shrimp and remove the worm when it leaves.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I heard that you need brackish water to breed ghost shrimp, is that what you did?
I bought a female with eggs, and just waited until they hatched...that is why I was wondering what the "white" was...I do have at least 4 babies that I can find. It is just a fresh water tank.

Good explaination RESGuy.

Boz, this is true. You can also isolate the shrimp and remove the worm when it leaves.

So I can put her in a tank by her self and wait it out? Do shrimp need an air stone/ filter? There was another shrimp in the tank with the same look when I bought her...why would she have it now and not show signs until now? I have been pulling white hairlike worms out of the tank for a while now...I athough it was the worms you get from over feeding....I feed the guppy fry microworms, and made sure there were enough for the shrimp and snails to feed on also...so I thought that was what these worms were...have not had very many now that the guppy are out of the tank...no more microworms fed.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I started looking around and from the posts I've read the worms are called horsehair worms. Here's a bit of info on them: http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/e614horsehair.html

and from other posts, seems like prazipro or a touch of iodine in the water might help. From your photo, is that another one on the right behind the shrimp?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Umm... so is this a bad thing? Tapeworms that is. If its possible to wait it out, what's the whole point of taking care of it. Wouldn't it just exit the next shrimp body it inhabits?

Or is there a possiblity they would die? So you're saying wait until the ghostie dies? Then the tapeworm would come out? I guess because a life is a life that would make sense... I would be too damn lazy though.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I started looking around and from the posts I've read the worms are called horsehair worms. Here's a bit of info on them: http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/e614horsehair.html

and from other posts, seems like prazipro or a touch of iodine in the water might help. From your photo, is that another one on the right behind the shrimp?
The "thing" right behind the shrimp is a root from the Najas plant...this tank originally was a betta fry tank, but now that I have fallen in love with shrimp, I added them...by the time I finally got the substrate for the tank, the single female I had (then the others I added) had the babies, so I did not get a chance to add it. I still plan on it, but now I have this problem to deal with.

After looking at the link, and playing around with it, some of the pictures I have run across look like the "worms" I have pulled out of my tank every time I see them...nemetode worm...regardless...I can not bring myself to kill this/these shrimp...not that they cost alot...$.26, I just don't have the heart. Now, I need suggestions on dealing with this...as said, I have 4 babies...I can remove them (I have a brine shrimp net) and can isolate them...now what to do with the adults. I only have 1-10g tank that contains only shrimp, snails, some sort of fern, najas, pennywart and java moss. Would a parasite med work?...I have a 5.5g, but it contains fish. I did not quarantine these shrimp before I put them in the tank...my mistake...also, the guppy fry were eating these nemetode worms, will they get infected? They have been moved to my 5.5 with their parents.

Here are a few pictures of the baby shrimp....

·
Registered
408 Posts
^Agreed. That's what I've always heard from the people that keep ghosties. They see the worm in the shrimp's body, then they see it hanging out of the body and then see it completely out and floating around the tank, but the shrimp is still alive and seemingly healthy.

·
Banned
560 Posts
^Agreed. That's what I've always heard from the people that keep ghosties. They see the worm in the shrimp's body, then they see it hanging out of the body and then see it completely out and floating around the tank, but the shrimp is still alive and seemingly healthy.
It's also ready to INFECT another shrimp. I stand by my first reaction KILL IT!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Kill it, Tom!! LOL...but seriously, once they reach the adult stage, they're no longer dependent on another host. What they will do, however, is then look for a mate and lay eggs which WILL look for hosts until they reach the adult stage. So Tom's advice very well may be the best unless you wish to attempt treatment with an antiparasitic, especially for your guppies.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.