The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a female fancy tailed guppy... im almost positive she pregnant can some one please tell me yes she is so i know for sure??
first picture is of the whole tank... for now until my plants get shipped in (within the next 2-3 day) i have fake floating plants in there just in case she gives birth.
second pic would be the girl and three males

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know when i got them i totally mix it up... i though it was the other way around =[ but anyways im planing on evening it out to 3 females to every 1 male... but yea thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've bred guppies many times (I actually have hundreds of fry at the moment, lol), and I find it hard to believe that yours ate all the fry alive. It is far more likely that they were sucked into the HOB or through that powerhead and killed. If you plan on breeding them you'll need sponges over the intakes on those. The ZooMed 501 sponges are nice, but may be a bit small if that HOB has a 1" intake as it appears.

Good luck!

·
Registered
567 Posts
If there are not hiding places for the fry, they will eat as many as they can. Floating plants will help a lot. If female guppies are exposed to a male even for a few minutes, they are almost definitely going to be pregnant, and will have several batches of fry, about once a month over several months. They can store sperm, so one mating can give you 3+ months of fry. You will know when she is getting ready to drop babies as she will have a large dark colored spot above her anus that will darken and grow larger the closer she gets. She will also swell up and be really round looking, of course.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
The best thing to do is to seperate the female when she is about to give 'birth.' She'll release a hormone that suppress the appetite for about eight hours. That way, you have the greatest yield of fry and the least risk/stress to both the mother and babies during the birthing process.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.