The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but didn't see a thread like this.

I've been contemplating getting a CO2 system, but the price has made me think very very carefully. But then I thought... my plants would grow SOO much faster with CO2, and I'd have to trim pretty often. If I sold the plants, the CO2 would eventually pay for itself, right?

I'm not in this hobby because I want to sell plants (there are clearly much better ways of making money!), but I spend a LOT of money on my hobby, and it's cool to see that it can give a little back!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Sure, it offsets some of the money that we spend on the hobby. I certainly wouldn't recommend quitting your job and trying to rely on it as a sole source of income, but since you're already gonna be trimming the plants, and would otherwise throw them into the compost heap, why not try to spread the joy and earn a couple of bucks?

I wouldn't say it is profitable, to use your word, but I would say it is a practical way of offsetting some expenses of this hobby.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Yes, you can sell plants for enough that you'll eventually earn back the cost of the CO2. Most folks are interested in the really rare stuff though and don't want to pay much for common species unless it's a huge bunch of them. Sadly, as a whole most aquarium keepers are stupidly cheap.

Phil

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
From what I see, you will make a few dollars but not much, enough to replace old equipments etc... DOn't forget the packing and shipping part which is time consuming and also the headache of a bad buyer. Better money working for fast food :)

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All good responses. I guess I'll have start buying rare plants then... *tosses her rotala and hygro*

I certainly wouldn't recommend quitting your job and trying to rely on it as a sole source of income, but since you're already gonna be trimming the plants,
Lol, no job, just school. I guess that's the issue! :icon_wink

I guess I just wanted a way to make a little extra cash so I'm so stressed out all the time!

·
Are these real?
15,713 Posts
It depends how much you value your time.

If you have plenty time, and consider packaging plants and going to the post office part of the hobby, you'll end up making a few dollars.

If there are other things to do that could pay you a decent hourly rate, then shipping plants is FTL. :icon_wink

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Farm tanks are the way to go :cool: I bought a new 40 breeder+light, and paid for the accessories for my 5.5 with the money I made from my farm tank.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Sadly, as a whole most aquarium keepers are stupidly cheap.

Phil

Do you own a LFS by chance?

:hihi:

At the price that most plants sell for here the total isn't really worth the time it takes to pack and ship. I'd look at it as more of an extension of the hobby than a money maker.

SteveU

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
There are people here, such as myself, who would gladly pay "retail price" for most plants, provided they came to me in tip-top condition. I generally accept the fact that when I'm getting a RAOK or some cheap clippings from someone that they will be underwhelming to me. If I could, though, in most cases, I would pay more money to other hobbyists, just to get better quality plants, rather than pay that same money to a LFS.

This mostly stems from the fact that when I buy plants from the LFS they are in their emersed form, and it irritates me to no end that I will have to wait for the plants to adjust to their submerged forms for them to be useful to me. I would rather spend the same amount of money on plants that are already submerged so they can immediately take on their intended roles in my aquascapes.

Of course, by spending the money, I expect the hobbyists I'm dealing with to provide me with top-notch plants and customer service. Otherwise I'd quickly be issuing my first negative pTrader review. :icon_twis

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do think of it as an extension of the hobby. I enjoy deciding which plants to trim and making a nice package that someone else will enjoy. I also liek sneaking in some extra stems and imagining how pleasantly surprised the other person will be. I guess it is fun for me. I don't find it a hassle at all. Packing them takes less than 10 minutes, and driving to the post office takes about 5. That's really not bad. With the flat rate boxes, I don't think you even have to go to the post office. I wasn't sure, so I just drove there.

There are certainly other things I could do instead, but I don't have time for a part time job. They keep us plenty busy in med school. I used to teach the SAT and other standardized tests, but it took a lot of time and effort.

So yeah, I know I won't be making lots of money, but I'd think it wouldn't be too difficult to make at least $60 in a month. Not that it would put a dent in my student loans, but I'd certainly feel less guilty about spending money on my tanks!!!

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are people here, such as myself, who would gladly pay "retail price" for most plants, provided they came to me in tip-top condition. I generally accept the fact that when I'm getting a RAOK or some cheap clippings from someone that they will be underwhelming to me. If I could, though, in most cases, I would pay more money to other hobbyists, just to get better quality plants, rather than pay that same money to a LFS.

This mostly stems from the fact that when I buy plants from the LFS they are in their emersed form, and it irritates me to no end that I will have to wait for the plants to adjust to their submerged forms for them to be useful to me. I would rather spend the same amount of money on plants that are already submerged so they can immediately take on their intended roles in my aquascapes.

Of course, by spending the money, I expect the hobbyists I'm dealing with to provide me with top-notch plants and customer service. Otherwise I'd quickly be issuing my first negative pTrader review. :icon_twis
That makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, someone else, well almost, I have my apps in and am waiting for interviews.
That's awesome! Good luck :biggrin: Those were definitely stressful times. But once you get in, I don't think it's nearly as bad as people say it is. I get a good 8 hours of sleep every night and I have enough time for my 4 tanks and 2 cats. I get to go out once per week, and I go to the gym once or twice. I also get to watch my favorite tv shows :biggrin: You've got to be disciplined but you really will have plenty of time if you use it right. I'm certainly no expert, but if you ever have any questions about anything, you're welcome to pm me!

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Yes, you can sell plants for enough that you'll eventually earn back the cost of the CO2. Most folks are interested in the really rare stuff though and don't want to pay much for common species unless it's a huge bunch of them. Sadly, as a whole most aquarium keepers are stupidly cheap.

Phil
This does not seem to be the case for reefers, who of whom value big expenditures and have no interest in thrift.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Wait....You guys make money?!? I am always shipping plants and mostly losing on the deal. No matter, though. I would rather give them away cheap to help others enjoy the hobby as much as I have. However, if you had the ambition and time, you could definitely make some change in the selling of plants.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
This does not seem to be the case for reefers, who of whom value big expenditures and have no interest in thrift.
Reefers are no different. Just like this hobby, that one has some that will spend $2000.00 on a protein skimmer and then complain about $50.00 buckets of salt mix. lol

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Funny you might ask...

I've gathered some experience over the years (scary I can now say years) some positive some negative but overall very interesting and one heck of a lot of learning. Overall it can be done very well if you have simple and clear objectives and do it correctly. You're not going to be the next Bill Gates or Tiger Woods but you can make enough to pay for your trip to the movies or dinner or whatever.

... I'm just starting to outline a short book on this very topic for your exact demographic.

So yeah, its doable but the chance is that all money made will just go back into the hobby...

Oh, and keep it fun!
-Andrew

·
Registered
218 Posts
I only just started selling some of my trimmings. As in, last week was my first sale. So far I like the idea of selling and trading plants. It's not a huge source of money, but I feel better selling to other hobbyists than throwing all my overgrown plants in the trash.

Like others said, I'd look at it as something to help offset the costs of the hobby. It'll never be a "get rich" deal, but it'll give you some pocket money for tank supplies.

You might be able to turn a small profit with a planted shrimp breeder tank, especially if you can get some unusual species that you can sell online and/or to your LFS. Depending on your locality, the markup on shrimp can be ridiculous. Back when I was in St. Louis, retail price for RCS was $7. So a tank of those could probably have earned a seller a pretty penny.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts