The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Seachem's Web site, 1 L of Purigen treats 1,000 gallons of water for 6 months.

So, I'd only need 40 ml for my 40 gallon tank for 6 months. That's a very small amount! Is the information correct? I'm accustomed to dumping carbon & zeolite into a media bag, so 40 ml seems way too small.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah it's the correct dosage.

For my 55G I just put in the whole 250ML bottle. I figured if 55ML would work in my tank for 6 months, then 250ML would last much longer! My logic behind that is probably flawed but so far it's been over a year and only 1/3 of the purigen is brown.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Just get one of the 100mL bags and recharge it whenever the whole bag turns brown.

If you buy the "loose" Purigen you'll also want to buy Seachem's "The Bag"- the beads are so small that they'll fall through many other media bags, plus other bags don't hold up as well to the bleach used in the renewing process.

A bag will last different lengths of time depending on each tank setup; bioload, tannins, water params... I probably recharge my Purigen bags about every 3-6 mos depending on which tank they're on.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, the 100 ml Purigen bags are eassentially the Seachem bags with Purigen inside?

The reason why I'm asking is I already bought 500 ml Purigen and if I can use only the bag of the 100 ml Purigen later (in case regeneration fails), there's no point buying a Seachem bag because the price difference is about 50 cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.