The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm setting up a 75 gallon altum tank. i currently have a 29 gallon with black eco complete that is doing great. for the altum tank though i would like to use a brighter whiter substrate to duplicate the sandy bottom of the amazon. i was thinking in terms of pool filter sand, but many here claim that it gets in the canister filter, blows around very easily and can be a real pain. any suggestions on a cheaper type of substrate that would be light in color?? Is pool filter sand a hassle? thx, john

·
Registered
143 Posts
White silica sand is pool filter sand. Ive only bought it in one grain size and in a 50 pound bag. Pretty easy to keep, though it does need to be added to every once in a while since you suck a little out if you vaccum your bed. I would add a couple cups full every month or so to keep it up. Though I like the look of black instead, I think it makes the fish stand out better and the black diamond sandblast slag you can find at any local tractor supply/ farm supply is cheap too and is the same consistency of the pool sand. If you would like another color choice that is.

·
Registered
600 Posts
the stuff i got is from oglebay norton industrial sands. i think the grade is 1-10. it came out of the back cleaner the the pool filter sand i had gotten for my 29 gallon almost a year ago

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.