The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are currently filter shopping and can't decide on which would be the best setup for our 55gal. I'm looking at either the Rena X3, setup in the middle, or two smaller canisters set up on each side. I keep hearing different accounts during all the research I've done. Is one or two a better option??

Is there a concern about losing too much C02 due to too much surface agitation? We don't add any.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It depends on what you will be putting in the tank. If it is going to be lightly planted and heavily populated, you will need more filtration. Heavy planting and a light bioload will require less.
On my Over populated African cichlid tank, I have about 10 times the amount of filtration one would need on a regular tank of it's size.
On my planted tank, I am under filtering it both because I do not need more and because I do not want to loose any more Co2 than I have to. Since you are not adding any Co2, it is not really a concern.

I personally would go with the two smaller filters. That way, if one of them dies, you still have at least something to keep you going.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the opinion. I personally prefer heavily planted and low/med populated. The boyfriend, however, is wicked bad when it comes to impulse buying, bless his heart, and tends to buy lots of fish.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I have way too many fish in my 90g, all small but I like to keep them fat. lol The second XP3 made it a little easier to maintain and a can clean the filters on alternating months without worry.

With the spray bars I've modified the holes so I only have one hole hitting the surface plus I have a "fry and shrimp eating surface skimmer" installed on one that helps with O2. CO2 is cheap once you have the equipment.

BTW... ACK I like your avatar. Here's one I use sometimes in remembrance of some lost friends and family. Just nobody knows what it is.

SteveU

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We will be looking into adding C02, but our first step is the filter. So I suppose having two for cleaning/breakdown purposes *would* be nice.

I love that avatar, it's very haunting/beautiful.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also prefer the dual filter method for the cleaning advantage and backup in case of a failed pump as others stated. I also like being able to use different filtering media in one canister -vs- another. I guess it would also depend on how much equipment space you have available. I had more than enough space for two canisters and the opposing outlets did improve in-tank circulation.

I you do look into dual filters: I'd suggest keeping them identical so your spare parts needs are minimized. Keeping it two Renas, two Eheim, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts