The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

With this hot summer and the thermas-style room that my tank is in, I've been struggling to keep the water temp below 80F..in fact its normally 80-82F. I just added a fan for some evaporative cooling and I was able to lower the temp to about 78F.

In the winter, this isn't an issue and I can keep the temp anywhere from 72F and up.

Given these temp conditions, would I be able to safely house Cherry Shrimp?

Your suggestions/comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My tank temperature here in Fort Lauderdale is probably 80-82 despite the fact the house AC is set at 78.

I had a 5 day slow died off of my cherries and my ghost shrimp seem to die off in about 1 month.

I am not sure why they died off but temperature is probably a factor.

I bought a Zoo Med Tank Fan and will see how much the temperature drops.

The guy who I want to buy cherries from won't have any for maybe 1-2 months, so it should be cooler by then. (But I'll probably buy some sooner and I want them so badly! But shipping in 90 plus temps seems to be a problem unless they throw in a cooling pack?)

I'd say get 20 cherries and see how they do.

I had a cherry in a Fluval Edge in the same room that survived for probably 2 months before someone ate him or he died.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Darn you all....for every comment saying its fine there's another saying it isn't haha.

No, I do appreciate your comments. I guess I may just try it out myself and see how it goes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mine have been at around 80-82 degrees and seem to be doing fine. They get berried without any problem, but I'm not so sure about the offspring survival rate...seemed like most of my first two batch of babies disappeared, but that might have been due to an incident with a high output light bulb.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your replies.

My Eheim 2215 spray bar is aimed downwards slightly outside of the tank which creates quite a bit of surface agitation and small air bubbles covering the back of the tank. Hopefully that's enough O2? I want to try to avoid an airstone if possible.

I'll start off with 20 and see how it goes. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.