The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, since one year the quality of my tap water has improved, the water was catastrophic, but now I would like to use it for my harlequin rasboras and red cherry shrimps, I tested the parameters of my water here is what I get:

pH : 7.2
NO2 : 0
NO3 : 12.5 (the water in my city is tested every week, they indicate 18 mg/l on the website)
KH : 11
GH: 16-17
conductivity: 240 PPM
NH4: <0.05 mg/L

I don't have a test for phosphates
I read on a site that it is not nitrates/phosphates that cause algae but ammonia, can I use this water?

Is it a problem for plants to use this water?

Thank you !

·
Registered
667 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem to use your water. It's very hard (e.g., high GH) so things that require soft, acidic water won't do very well, but other organisms will be okay.

You won't need to add nitrates, but you will probably need to add phosphate, potassium and micronutrients if you wish to grow plants.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shouldn't be a problem to use your water. It's very hard (e.g., high GH) so things that require soft, acidic water won't do very well, but other organisms will be okay.

You won't need to add nitrates, but you will probably need to add phosphate, potassium and micronutrients if you wish to grow plants.
Thanks, is there a way to know how much to add because I only have tnc complete fertilizer all in one, on rotala website it tells me that if I put the basic dosage of tnc complete which is 1 ml/10l, i have 54 liters so 5ml i will add :

N1.389
P0.185
K4.63

so tnc will add nitrates is that a problem ? thx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.