The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Theoretically no, buuut I do have some suggestions. One, Pearl gourami would be much happier in a group, I would suggest a male and two females. Two, you have to many schooling fish, pick one maybe two species and do larger groups. Three, from what I've heard, the barbs and glowlights could be nippy. So I wouldn't put them with the gourami.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Some Pearl Gouramis get along with each other, some do not. If you want to try more than one WATCH THEM.

Too many different schools. Pick 2 species, and get a few more of those.
I would add some Cories or Zebra Loaches for the lower area, and a Bristlenose or a few Otos for algae.

The other thing to do is check the temperature preferences. This might help you omit some fish.

This site has a lot of good info about many fish.
Trichopodus leerii (Pearl Gourami) ? Seriously Fish

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you like the look of a busier tank that many different species i don't see why you would have a problem. Each species has a decent number of fish in each school.
If you like the tank that isnt so busy, and more relaxed, less species with larger schools will acheive that somewhat better.

One thing to consider with that many different of schooling species is where they inhabit in the tank, if their all going to be in the one zone. Issues will arise, so its better to pick fish species that inhabit different areas of the tank, some that primarily around the top, some around the bottom and some around the middle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd love to get some loaches for the bottom (don't particularly like cories) but I'm in the midst of creating a dwarf sagittaria carpet, and don't want plants to get uprooted. I have yet to find a cheap source of synodontis.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Your tank is absolutely 100% overstocked even with excellent filtration and heavy planting. I really hope someone with more clout than I on this forum tells you the same. Odessa barbs get 3-4 inches and are a full-bodied fish. The old inch per gallon rule would not apply to them. They are also semi-aggressive. Even without the barbs entirely you are pretty overstocked. Your keyhole can get 5-6 inches, pearls get to 4, diamonds get to about 2.5 and cherries get to about 2. Having 40 fish would be ok if you had neons or cardinals, maybe even the cherries. Even if you were using the inch per gallon rule, which is only for slender fish, you would have at least 100 inches worth of fish. This would be the stocking for a tank twice your size.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.