The Planted Tank Forum banner

should i keep my ranchu and comet?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
The comet is going to be a little large for the tank. My comets are at about 10" a piece. Counting nose to fin tip it'd be closer to 12-13"....

·
Registered
703 Posts
lots of space while the goldfish are young at any rate - rules of thumb for stocking are very limited in their usefulness, too many variables involved to realy blindly on them and could land one in trouble or cause unneccesary limitations.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think his point was that there is most certainly such thing as overstocking - and considering a comet can grow to a foot and a half long in a pond, many would say even one is overstocking a 55g.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
is that a on galon fish bowl, cus im pretty sure a fish that big could still fit in a 55G long
Just because it can fit in a 55 long doesn't mean it should be in one. I can fit a 3' red tailed catfish in there but that doesn't mean it should be there. And yes that's a gallon fish bowl. The fish is about 12" long.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For starters, a 75 gallon is a the recommended minimum for a single comet. Ponds are better altogether.

2) You're mixing tropical and coldwater fish; there's a huge issue with that.
Exactly. There is just no way to keep those fish together long term and have them be happy. The goldfish need much colder water than the tropical fish. Also, you have some schooling fish alone. I'd get rid of the goldfish and get more cories and otos.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Exactly. There is just no way to keep those fish together long term and have them be happy. The goldfish need much colder water than the tropical fish. Also, you have some schooling fish alone. I'd get rid of the goldfish and get more cories and otos.

That's completely wrong. Goldfish COME from cold water but being in the hobby for 150 years they are completely warm water tolerant. I keep my goldfish outdoors in 80+ degree water. I've had tons of babies and they're all almost 7 years old now.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=2542

The myth that goldfish don't like warm water comes from people who kept goldfish in tanks too small and so they died and they found an excuse: "the water was too warm"

I own a 500 gallon pond with 5 comets and a male/female pair of koi that are almost 2' long now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
That's completely wrong. Goldfish COME from cold water but being in the hobby for 150 years they are completely warm water tolerant. I keep my goldfish outdoors in 80+ degree water. I've had tons of babies and they're all almost 7 years old now.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=2542

The myth that goldfish don't like warm water comes from people who kept goldfish in tanks too small and so they died and they found an excuse: "the water was too warm"

I own a 500 gallon pond with 5 comets and a male/female pair of koi that are almost 2' long now.
Keyword "tolerant". Tolerant and thriving are two completely different words. Tropical fish can live in filthy water, but thrive in clean water. Does that make it ok to have a completely dirty tank?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.