The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting more involved in my planted tank and I've been reading everything for a few weeks now. Back in the old days, we talked about watts/gallon. Next up was Lumens. Now it is PAR.

I understand the technical differences but I still don't know if my tank is a low light or medium light tank.

It is a standard 75 gallon tank. It has a 6 year old Beamswork that somehow hasn't failed yet, at 3100 lumens and fairly new Aqueon Optibright which has 1100 lumens.

I know you can't convert lumens to PAR without a spectral data sheet, but what's a good ball park? Is this a low light or medium light tank?

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
I have a $400 to $600 budget. I'm completely re-doing my tank. I'll start a tank journal soon, but I'm 99% sure I want CO2.

48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 21 1/8

What are your need wants?
3 AI prime freshwaters are at the top of the budget..
150-ish watts..

From a small experimental formula your initial PAR was "ok"..
Prob around 30 at the bed w/ both lights full on..

In free air your PAR at 20" light to bed is about 10..
The surface area at 20" is about 10ft x 6ft
120 degrees 4100 lumens.

In a tank that number is multiplied due to reflection and refraction..

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 21 1/8

What are your need wants?
3 AI prime freshwaters are at the top of the budget..
150-ish watts..
That's exactly what I'm going through right now, what are my needs and wants? I'm likely to do Jungle style or Nature. I only learned those terms today though over at https://allaboutplantedaquariums.com/aquascaping-designs-the-artist-within-you/
Dutch looks cool too but I'm fond of a bit of driftwood.

Oh, and the budge is for the whole tank do over. I have the tank, filter, the above lights etc.. The tank is slowly fading away from neglect and I need to turn it around.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
That's exactly what I'm going through right now, what are my needs and wants? I'm likely to do Jungle style or Nature. I only learned those terms today though over at https://allaboutplantedaquariums.com/aquascaping-designs-the-artist-within-you/
Dutch looks cool too but I'm fond of a bit of driftwood.

Oh, and the budge is for the whole tank do over. I have the tank, filter, the above lights etc.. The tank is slowly fading away from neglect and I need to turn it around.

Well then, best to concentrate capital outlays on CO2.
Helps even "low light" tanks..

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well then, best to concentrate capital outlays on CO2.
Helps even "low light" tanks..
That's certainly what I've read. I researching substrates now, they're so hard to change out, especially compared to lights. I was wondering where I was on PAR though.

Fortunately I have 2 killer pieces of driftwood. I used to have it in a 125. When I had to get rid of that tank I carried it around for years. It wouldn't fit anywhere. I eventually sawed it in half, then sawed two more chucks off it. I have a lot of options for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.