The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was doing some maintenance on my tank today and thought the black frame on top looked funny. So I took a straight edge and ran it along the glass and also looked down the edge and sure enough the glass is slightly bowed outwards. It isn't really bowed at the bottom. I don't know how long it has been like this, the tank has been set up for almost a year. Should I be worried? Please help!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
bowing shouldn't be too much of a problem unless you bump into the aquarium it can break/crack easier. My flawed tank bows out a little, its rimless been running for awhile now. But it will be easier to break.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
All aquariums bow out at the top, even with a cross brace. There is a bending load on that part of the glass, so there has to be a bend in the glass there, even though it may be only a few thousandths of an inch. Any time there is stress there is a deflection from the stress. It is only when the glass bows out much more than it is designed to, like when a cross brace breaks, that you have a potential problem.

·
Banned
628 Posts
My ten gallons bowed. I had to take it into account when I measured to have the acrylic covers cut. One time I heard a loud cracking noise when I pressed suction cups on the inside of the tank but the tank never broke. Engineers take these things into consideration when they design things. Bridges are designed to expand and contract and even twist. Tall buildings bend in the wind. Airplane wings are flexible. If things were built rigidly they would break. This hobby is fraught with worries. Like whether or not it's safe to use CO2 in a tank with animals. Or whether there will be a big water spill on the carpet or cracked water heater or filter problem. It's a little scarry at times. I worry about the animals. If my tank broke I would save them first. You could always turn the tank into a paludarium.

·
Registered
142 Posts
As has been suggested, the tank is designed to bend a little. If you need a straight edge to be sure your tank is bowed, then it is likely to be normal. As long as the frame is intact and firmly attached, the tank is fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.