The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a question about my tank stand. I purchased a 75 gallon tank and stand from craigslist. I was told the set up is 4 years old. While talking to the seller he did mention that he had put some corner brackets into the stand to beef it up a bit. I thought this was a good idea but from what I've been reading it sounds like doing anything not factory to a stand is a bad idea.

I've done a stress test and didn't find any leaks, just a lot of deflection in my hardwood floors and have been researching that issue when I noticed something else.. On the lower front board there is a ridge. I didn't notice it when I was checking out the tank but honestly I was looking more so at the tank and didn't pay enough attention to the stand itself. I'm pretty sure it was there though. Below are images of model sticker and what I'm seeing. How bad is this? I looked underneath the stand and this ridge (I don't want to call it a crack..) is behind where the bottom shelf is, so you can't see anything there. I can take a pic of that too if it would help.

Model Sticker:

Ridge:

Brackets:

Bracket Screwed from outside...

Another crack I found.. jeez:

Inside, looking down:

So... Did I fubar myself with this stand? Should it be replaced? I did fill the tank and had it set up for an hour or so. Heard a pop or two while filling it but other than that it "seemed" stable. I was more concerned with the floor (another issue all together). I just want to avoid flooding my apartment at all costs.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
143 Posts
All them stands are to me border line stuff.

I have a 26 Aqueon with a stand a package deal from Pets mart to me not up to par.

If you want just brace the areas with extra 2X stuff.

As no other way I would think to change it out.

Jeff

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Pictures 5,6,&7 are of the same crack/ It looks from here like it was there before the finish was added. See how some of the paint is in the crack. If it was a new crack the interior wood would be bare. The brackets are somewhat pointing out that the Aqueon stands are not as well designed as they might be. But then their purpose was to make money, not to provide a good stand. Just normal business. Not FUBAR! I would build it better but if I had the stand , I would not worry. Not the best but not going to collapse, either. If the corners begin to move out so you see the crack getting bigger or if the front crack goes all the way left/right, then you may want to do something. But not going to do that would be my guess. The toughest thing for stands is not the tank setting on them but moving from one place to another like dragging them on the floor or moving the tank across the top.
If interested in a preventive fix, I would suggest a short piece of 2X2 added at each of the bottom corners and clamped and glued in place to keep the two bottom boards from moving outward. If the tank is on it and filled, try to ignore the defects and enjoy the new tank?? Used is used and this was not a great stand when new. NO SWeat!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I personally don't like wood stands, all mine are steel, there are too many ways to mess up wood and it's not stiff and rarely provides good mid span support unless massive. Having said that, I've seen plenty of tanks on worse looking stands that do fine for a long time. If those metal corner braces really are helping, the corners were pushed on at some point and loosened.

I'd build a subframe inside from straight dimensional lumber or angle iron to take the tank load and use the cabinet as a cabinet and less of a structural component. 75 gallons of water is a nightmare to clean up and now's the best time. With some work, it will make a nice tank support. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions and alleviating some of my concern. I like the 2x idea and since I have absolutely zero carpentry skills that may be the best way to go for me. I don't want to leave it as it, I doubt I'll be able to sleep at night.

The tank is empty. I only had it filled up for an hour or so checking for leaks. I had a lot of deflection in the floor so I drained it and I'm researching dealing with that using a flooring jack. This has already been quite the learning experience! After all this if I can keep some plants alive in it eventually I'll feel quite accomplished..

Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Sounds like you have a plan. Some small points that might help if it is new to you?

I might suggest buying a couple "C"-clamps. Quite possible Lowe's or Home Depot would cut a 2X2 into the short length you need to beef up the corners. Home Depots often have a small saw available for DIY. Look in the wood trim aisle? If not, any saw will do. A good wood glue like Elmer's should soak into the grain of both pieces of wood and make it as strong as the wood itself if you clamp it and let it dry. If there if a finish like paint on the wood, scrape it off before gluing so the glue soaks into the wood. A little scrap of something between the clamp and the finished side will keep it from marking the finish.

Good luck with the project. A good place to start on learning the DIY skills that will come in handy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.