The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a premixed dry fertilizer online that according to the seller contains sodium nitrate, monopotassium phosphate, potassium chloride.
"Potassium 4 ppm Nitrates 2ppm Phosphates 0.5ppm Take 2g, dissolve in 1000 ml RO Water. ( Solution A). Solution A - 5 ml in 50 litre = required concentration in ppm." This was their instructions that I followed.
My question to you guys is that are these values right? Do these compounds go together? because when I mixed them in RO water i get a whiteish solution, I dont see any precipitation though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can check it against the Rotala Butterfly site, but at first glance they appear to be correct: Rotala Butterfly

All three of those compounds are highly soluble in water. I suspect the cloudiness will clear after a bit.
I did check on rotalabutterfly but i am not getting the sellers claims. I did it in a way of using 2g of each KCl (in the form of muriate of potash) and KH2PO4 and the total K and Po4 doesnt even add up to 4ppm and 0.5ppm. As for NaNO3, rotalabutterfly doesnt have it.
It has been more than a week now and the solution hasnt cleared up. Could it be one of the contents dont go well with another?

I have asked the seller to give me the exact grams of each of the 3 ingredients that totals to 100g.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This might help you. Somebody was kind to teach me recently how to use the rotala website.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I did check on rotalabutterfly but i am not getting the sellers claims. I did it in a way of using 2g of each KCl (in the form of muriate of potash) and KH2PO4 and the total K and Po4 doesnt even add up to 4ppm and 0.5ppm. As for NaNO3, rotalabutterfly doesnt have it.
It has been more than a week now and the solution hasnt cleared up. Could it be one of the contents dont go well with another?
You're right--something is amiss with their recipe. I calculated the amount for KNO3 (you can get NaNO3 by dividing this amount by 1.189), and to get 1 ppm NO3 in 50 liters you would need to make a 1000 ml solution with 16.31 g of KNO3, and add 5 ml of this solution:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, the seller is not gonna tell me what exact amounts of each ingredient they put in so im clueless now. I do know however that K nutrients in the tank should be good since they used muriate of potash. As for po4 and no3 i think those are definitely lacking
KNO3 (you can get NaNO3 by dividing this amount by 1.189)
which is stronger, Kno3 or NaNo3?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.