The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I replaced my inert gravel with fluval flora substrate and now the pH of my 10g tank decreased from 7.5 to 6.0 within a span of a week. It has maintained this pH since the substrate was changed. Now, I have a 8 boraras merah, 4 ember tetras, 3 cories and 3 loaches and a few RCS in this tank. I really want the RCS to start breeding however I have not seen any females reproducing. I'm just wondering if the pH was the cause of this. I know I have a good mix of males and females but none are breeding. :icon_ques

Is my pH too low for RCS? If it is, then I have a spare 5.5 gallon tank that I can convert to a shrimp tank. :D

Any advice is great!

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
943 Posts
I wouldnt think its too low either. Are they even saddled? Are you sure you have males and females? Also if its only been a week they are probably just trying to get comfortable. Shrimp are senstive to changes. By replacing the substrate you also got rid of A LOT of nitrifying bacteria too. Depending on your filter it may also be affecting your water conditions.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I wouldnt think its too low either. Are they even saddled? Are you sure you have males and females? Also if its only been a week they are probably just trying to get comfortable. Shrimp are senstive to changes.
Yup, even though people say they are hardy and breed like rabbits, they still take a while to get going. Took a few months for my cherries to get saddled and berried. I did start off with a 10gal, then planted 10gal, then 20long, then rescape, then rescape again, then I got fire reds that I had in my crystal tank for a while at a low pH, then moved into the 20long with 7.6pH, so they went through a lot. Now I have 2 berried and about 8 saddled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.