The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I got back into the hobby after a few years of absence. I am starting slowly with a 6gal planted tank. Was trying to keep it lower maintenance. No CO2 and for now I haven't done fertilizers since I started the tank on 10/24/2020. I did fishless cycling with a little bit of food, but I had all my plants in while cycling. I feel buying the plants and putting them in sped up the cycling since I was done in a bout 3 weeks or so. After the cycle was done I added 8 CRS, 5 pygmy corys and 1 nerite snail. A week later I added 5 ember tetra. I know it may be a bit overstocked but my ammonia/nitrites have actually been 0 and nitrates stayed low for a couple weeks too. I had quite a bit of brown algae/diatoms at the end of the cycle and was hoping the snail and shrimp will clear it out, but though there has been significant improvement (mostly by the snail) I am not sure if it can keep up.
My crypt parva and anubias nana are quite covered in scummy brown stuff and i think i got some black beard algae from some java fern I had bought. The parva has a some new leaves showing but very slow...
Anyway, I bought the Hygger 13W clip on light from Amazon because i thought it would be about medium light but I'm not sure what it would be considered for this size tank. I have it on for about 8 hrs/day. Any ideas if this light is considered low/medium/high for this size aquarium?
I also used a HOB small filter with only sponges and some shell to counter balance my drift wood/ ADA substrate.
Will try to attach a pic I took today. My first attempt at aquascaping. The saggitaria on the left was added only to make sure I have sufficient plants to produce enough oxygen. I don't really like how it's taking over so I will probably eventually remove it.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
The nice thing about sagittaria is that you can just uproot it and divide the plants and replant to keep it in check and then sell or give away the rest. Your lighting is probably similar to my 14 gallon which has a 20” stingray and active soil, which it looks like you’re using? I put my lighting at low to medium low and all grows nice and slow.

Tank looks nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.