The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
I've been focusing so much lately on co2 and fertilisers having thought that my light was sufficient. Now that I'm happy with my co2 input and fertilisation method, of course I've gone and doubted myself when it comes to the lights.
I've got a 100L long (80Cm x 40cm x 35cm) tank and using the following light fixture:

Beamswork power 400 v2
78 x 0.1w HQ led (72 x 10000K daylight & 6x 460nm actinic)
810 lumen

It's safe to say I'm a noob when it comes to lighting so hopefully someone with some experience in led lighting could let me know if my lighting is strong enough. Here is a list of the plants I'm stocking:

Baby tears & lilaeopsis Mauritania for carpeting
Sagittaria teres
Green ludwigia,
Ludwigia reppens - buying this month
Anubias
Java fern
Java moss
Ozelot sword
Amazon sword
Spiral jungle val - buying this month
Red tiger lotus
Bacopa

I'm also dosing daily micro/macro along with pressurised Co2 @ 30psi and 2bps.

They seem to be doing okay but I want to make sure I get the best out of them. Also, I'm using root tabs rather than a full substrate as hadn't anticipated focusing on plants when I initially set the tank up.
I have a feeling the answer is no and if so would adding another of these units be a redundant move? Should I bite the bullet and combine a finnex 2 with a finnex monster as I've read some success stories on here with that combination.

Thanks

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
That isn't a very big tank, and it isn't a high tank, so most of the inexpensive LED lights should provide enough intensity for whatever plants you want to grow. I suggest not using a light designed for reef tanks, but one designed for planted tanks. It will look a lot better if you do, and have a more favorable spectrum for the plants.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check for Aquatraders or TopDogSellers on Evilbay. They sell Beamswork led fixtures. Look for those with 6500k leds for example (and 0,5 watts leds or 1 watt leds).

The one you have lack intensity, and is more designed for reef.

This thread is informative :

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/721001-beamswork-success-stories-beamswork-club.html
Thanks guys for the info. I did find that thread to be very helpful and think I've found the one for my tank.

http://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-0-50W-Timer-Aquarium-Freshwater/dp/B01693Z0P6

Seems to meet the criteria you have mentioned, Michel. It also comes with a timer which will save me some space on my extensions block.
Would you recommend this one? I don't want to come across as indecisive , I do think this is the one I need but athough it is only $59.95, postage to Ireland is a further $50 so want to make sure I have the best possible light and wen't need to buy again. Can't seem to find a European seller.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.