The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never had to worry about my tap before with other fish, and my current RCS and 3 CRS are doing just fine, but as I am getting some higher grade CRS in the mail I was considering getting R/O or distilled water (w/remineralizer) to be on the safe side.

Just tested my water, are these numbers ok?

ppm gh/kh 143.2
dkh 6

Used API test kit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
788 Posts
143.2 ppm is 8 drops I believe and CRS prefer...

a gH of 4-6
a kH of 0-2

so neither gH or kH should be at 143.2ppm and a kH of 6 like mordalphus said is not okay.

meaning when you test with your API test-kit gH should be 4-6 drops and kH should be 1-2 drops

I would make your parameters more suited to CRS since RCS tolerate a wider range whereas CRS tolerate a lower range.

and do consider getting R/O or distilled water so your kH will be 0-2 so you can manipulate your pH. pH is an important parameter worth noting. I would say keep it around 6.2-6.5 so both shrimp are moderately happy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! The test was confusing me, putting it in drop terms helps. I think it sounds easiest for me to go with R/O then and just have to worry about ph. I have shrimp stratum and it will be a CRS only tank, the RCS will have his own home :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, I have learned so much from these forums! When I got few CRS and one RCS I did not know they shouldn't be housed together, but I read a lot and now I want to make them their own perfect homes! I am very excited about this tank I am setting up and will make sure to share with you all my progress once things start coming together.

·
Registered
788 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've experimented with my own dosages of the Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement. I have 18.9L containers for my R/O water so I dose approximately ~7.5mL because pouring 10mL of the Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement will give me 6gH exactly. So dosing ~7.5mL will give me a range of 4-6gH which I desire (I aim for 5gH).

In this thread you see people doing their own dosage tests (since the dosing instructions on the bottle will not tell you the volume of water lol, you'll see when you get the bottle or when you read this thread):

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=135520

I measure 5mL using the test tubes given by the API test kit. So I just pour the Fluval till it hits the white line on the tube then pour it into my 18.9L R/O bucket.

If you don't have 18.9L containers lol or don't plan on getting those big empty jugs, dose small amounts of the stuff (like 2.5mL at a time) to find out what dosage works for you in whatever container you store your R/O water in. Adjust accordingly each time you find out what gH you are at when you measure it until you hit what gH you want.

You can either find out how much you need to dose each time for a water change (AKA when you need to do a water change you pour your R/O water out into a separate container and dose the water in the separate container then pour it into your tank) OR

I personally just dose all of my R/O water (all 18.9L of it) so I don't have to worry about it every-time I change my water, and just pour it into my tank.

Just note when you dose the R/O water with fluval give it a good shake and let it rest for like 3-4 hours so the minerals get dispersed throughout the water evenly so when you test it you don't get inaccurate results (but then again it's because I have 18.9L of water so you could probably get away with less resting time lol).

Good luck finding out what dosage works for you (hopefully what I wrote is clear since I'm half asleep, time for bed).

·
Registered
140 Posts
In my experience dealing with higher end CRS. the secret is keeping TDS under 150ppm while keeping GH at 5 in order to supply calcium and magnesium for molting. Avoid anything that adds KH or raises pH and I think you should be solid

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got some distilled water today and the only mineralizer I could find locally was Aquavitro's Mineralize. Pricier than I wanted but my ph is now perfect for CRS!

ph: 6.4
kh: 1 (drops)
gh: 5 (drops)

Very happy I did this, thanks for all the help everyone!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just picked up the API kit for GH and KH and I just wanted to confirm the color of the liquid in the two bottles. for KH the liquid should be orange and for GH it should be green, right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.