The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Eheim 2078 hooked up to an Iwaki MD-15R pump in series, the rated flow of the Eheim is 1850lph and the Iwaki's is 960lph.

I know that there's a gulf between quoted flow and actual flow so I made a rough measurement of flow rate by timing how long it took the loop to fill a 12L bucket.

The result was 600lph actual flow rate through my 300 litre tank.

I've read that Amano recommends 10x tank volume per hour as the ideal flow rate for a planted tank. Is this really necessary? Is my flow rate enough for any sort of plantation?

If not I can't imagine how big a pump I'd need to achieve 3000lph or quite what my fish would think about the storm that'd create!

·
Registered
414 Posts
You can get really high flow rates without disturbing fish, its just a matter of how you disperse that flow. If the water comes out a single nozzle at 3000lph then it will definitely wash away fish and plants. However, if you have 3000lph coming out of a bunch of nozzles you can get a nice gentle flow throughout the tank, instead of a single concentrated torrent.

Also flow doesn't have to be achieved with just the filter. Canisters operate by slowly passing the water over a large amount of media which means you probably have plenty of biological filtration.

However, if you see lots of junk in the water or plants accumulate lots of gunk and algae, I would look into a power-head to increase the flow. The 10x is recommended for not only biological filtration(which it seems you have enough) but to also ensure clear and clean water and how you achieve that 10x figure can be done many ways.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts