The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blue? or stressed. This one has been hiding from me for a long time in my 10 gallon. I finally found him and put it in my 2.5 gallon crayfish tank. Then I noticed he had a light blueness in him!!! I've heard of blue ones but this one doesn't look TOO blue. I know there are gray varieties. Is it the gray variation with a blue hue? Or is it blue. Or is it just stressed from the move. Sorry I don't remember what color he was in my other tank before the move.

Pics:

What do you think?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Presuming the actual color is blue, (pic looks green) then it's a blue cajun. I just received 10 of the selectively bred blue ones a couple days ago. Most of them were brown from stress after being shipped, but have turned light blue since they settled in a bit. They'll never look as solidly or brightly colored as the large species, but they are quite different from the brown ones. They never show the striped pattern either, they're always mottled.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I guess we have a different variation. Thanks everyone.

Yes the pic looks green because I didn't scrape off the GDA on the glass :-D. Or maybe some white balance problem. But it's silverish blue in person.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So I guess we have a different variation. Thanks everyone.

Yes the pic looks green because I didn't scrape off the GDA on the glass :-D. Or maybe some white balance problem. But it's silverish blue in person.
Don't worry too much about it. Nobody has perfect blue dwarfs yet. They are still being developed which takes time since its not a genetic blue morph. Its being created by selective breeding which will never create the same type of blue. Its only a matter of time before people find some genetic blue morphs though as all crayfish species have this morph. Just some more than others.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I've heard the blue crayfish pop out randomly, yet their offspring show no signs of blue. I guess SOMEDAY someone will have a male and female blue crayfish and then start getting pure blue offspring after many generations of selective breeding. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
862 Posts
They sometimes have a bluish tint to them shortly after moulting. That's why bass fishermen are so successful with black and blue jigs when bass fishing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts